Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mozilla firefox taking FOREVER to start after boot up

• Please log in to reply

dan1987

dan1987

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
why does my mozilla take about 2 min to start up after boot up. that is allowing everything to start. it is realllllly annoying considering firefox is supose to be superior :tazz:

Advertisements

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
ouch. I'm finding the builds from mozilla to be increasingly slow to start up

there are a few things you can do about this:

1. go to 'my computer' and type %appdata% into the location bar. find the mozilla folder and delete it. note however that this will remove any customizations you have made to firefox, including any extensions, since this folder contains your user profile, which may have corrupted, causing the slow start-up. if you wish to keep your extensions after you fix this problem and not download them again, you can just move this folder instead of deleting it. load firefox again after you have moved or deleted the folder, it will create a new user profile for you.

2. you can completely uninstall and reinstall firefox by downloading it again from mozilla.org

these are the options if you are a more advanced user and know what you're doing:

1. I strongly recommend that you stay away from mozilla's own build of firefox, it has become increasingly sluggish over time. There are other people who are making their own builds of firefox. they are using the same source code, but optimizing it for certain processors so that start-up and load time is greatly reduced, as is memory usage when idle. one of the best builds is called the moox build at http://www.moox.ws/tech/mozilla (the site is down at the moment but just google) these are processor specific builds that will greatly increase the performance of firefox if you download the one made for your processor

2. there is a way to edit firefox so that it stores some of its data in the windows prefetch file, this is a tweak that is supposed to decrease first load time. I haven't tried it but if you google a bit, I'm sure you'll find the tweak.

try the first two before the second two. chances are that you just have a corrupt profile. I still recommend moox, all you need to do is download his zipped folder, open it and copy everything over to the mozilla firefox folder, replacing everything that's already in that folder. pin the different icon for the exe to the start menu, and away you go to a faster, more efficient firefox :tazz:

Edited by Thef0rce, 15 November 2005 - 08:13 AM.

dan1987

dan1987

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
will it still be better than IE?

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
definitely

the best thing about mozilla is the extensions that let you customize it however much you want. and even if you don't, you'll still have a nice browser. there's also quite a lot of tweaks around. something for everyone, so to speak.

Edited by Thef0rce, 16 November 2005 - 05:35 PM.