Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

vlc player

• Please log in to reply

roppongi

roppongi

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Everytime I download the vlc media player (recommended on this site), I get a message telling me ithe installer is corrupted, possibly by a virus.

How can I get a clean and running copy of this player?

ps. still no luck on getting WMP to play streaming media on my system

Thanks for any help! Jim

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi roppongi!

What site did you go to to download VLC? The proper way to get it is to go to HERE, and click on the VLC Media Player link at the top of that page.

Fenor

roppongi

roppongi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thank you, Fenor, for your help! I successfully downloaded the VLC player. It's on my desktop along with the file I want to play, but the WMP keeps picking up the file.

I tried dragging the file into the VCL box, but as soon as it touches the box it turns into a circle with a bar across it. In other words, I can't drag it there.

How can I get VCL player to play streaming news file?

Thanks for any help, Jim

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
What type of file are you trying to play in it?

Fenor

roppongi

roppongi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Okay, I got the streaming news file into the VLC player box, but when I hit 'play,' nothing happens.

I just have the little rectangular VLC player box on my desktop doing nothing.

Am I doing something wrong???

Any help appreciated... Jim

roppongi

roppongi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I am trying to play streaming Japanese news site. http://www.rab.co.jp...s.cgi?mode=show

Clicking on the blue bar under a picture activates WMP...but I do not want to use that...I want the file to play in VLC.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Doesn't look like VLC supports that type of stream. Looks like you'll need to stick with WMP.

Fenor

roppongi

roppongi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks, but WMP never completely buffers so does not play except for rare one-second snatches. of animation and audio...

This is disappointing....new machine...older and weaker machine played this site just fine...

What do you think is problem???

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You can always try and download Windows Media Player Classic. It is a lightweight version of WMP but plays everything alot better then WMP ever could, and it's free.

Fenor

roppongi

roppongi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thank you...I am having flashbacks, though.... there was discussion of that earlier in the thread, from Tom, etc. Can't remember if I tried it. I have been though so much with this problem, It's all starting to run together....

Any rate, I will try it again.

Many thanks!

roppongi

roppongi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Okay... I was rudely reminded of why I have not tried WMP Classic! I tried for several hours last night to download that player. My system just will not do it.

On punching 'download now,' I get an hourglass by the cursor arrow...and it just stays there forever. The little box in lower right hand corner of screen that fills up with color when buffering never fills and clears.

Does this just mean the Download site is busy? My computer is malfunctioning? Or it's my cheap $15.00 a month dial up ISP??

Any help appreciated!

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Try this site instead and see if it works.

Fenor

roppongi

roppongi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Fenor!

Hey, that site worked. Downloaded the player in about 12 minutes.

The site buffers pretty well and plays. One problem. I get no video on the WMP Classic.

What do you suggest?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You gotta figure out what kind of stream the site uses and get the appropriate codec for it. I can be of no help with that.

Fenor