Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP will not install

• Please log in to reply

ian69san

ian69san

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Tried to install windows XP home edition OEM over windows 98. OOPS
Got through to restarting the computer and just freezes at the blue setup screen. no grey bar at the bottom, no nothing.
The strange thing is it won't install any XP, HOME or PRO. Both are legal
It will istall 98 and 2000 but just freezes on the blue setup screen of XP

Do I resort to Randish and get rid of the mbr as this is the only thing I can think that is stoping me? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks in advance

ian69san

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
If disk still has a FAT/FAT32 partition (ie Windows 98), boot from a DOS startup disk (Win98 Emergency Boot Disk), delete the partition with FDISK which is on the floppy. Now boot from the XP install CD. it will create new partition (XP setup will list it as "unallocated space" till it becomes a partition) and it will also format it before it proceeds to install XP.

Edited by pip22, 16 November 2005 - 07:37 AM.

ian69san

ian69san

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
pip22

Comp had no partition at all. Completely wiped it.
Sorted the problem while waiting for help from the forum.
It turned out to be a hardware problem.
XP setup didn't like my card reader.
funny thing is that after installing windows I reconected the reader and windows installed the drivers and every thing works fine.

Thanks for trying