Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with networking (Cables/Wiring)

• Please log in to reply

Blingster

Blingster

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Good morning fellow geeks ha ha,

Can anyone help or offer any advice? This is what i wanna do.....

I have a desktop pc downstairs running broadband (Via a Tesco speedtouch usb modem) I would like to share this internet upstairs at the sametime. I have RJ45 cable enough to connect the two pc's :
Also i have x2 RJ45 Sockets and x3 Patch cables and also a Belkin Switch - I have been told this will work fine for the time being.....

Now what i am concerned and worried about is wiring up the RJ45 cable to the socket and what and how many holes i would need to use if all? Been told i only need to use Green/White, Green/Orange/White, Orange? In the 4 holes on the right hand side of socket? I have a prong for this but dont want to connect wire until i am certain where they go i have found some web pages explaining but dont seem very clear can anyone tell me for sure what holes and colours i need to use? I have a Blue/White, Blue and a Brown and also another two making it 8 wires in total...

Please help asap

Thanks

Blingster

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Blingster! Welcome to G2G!

I myself have never made patch cable myself, but if you take a look HERE any of the sites listed in this Google search should be able to help you out. :tazz:

Fenor