Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Many problems

• Please log in to reply

rohit

rohit

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Specs:

AMD Athlon 2400+
MSI KT4 AV
Samsung 80GB hdd
512 MB ddr Ram

Now my problems are as follows:

1. My computer keeps on restarting anytime also it hangs. Before it hangs some "click" sounds come dunno frm where it comes from.

2. My cpu is 2400+ but suddenly in the bios it is showing 1800+,dunno why?

plzzz help me guys :tazz:

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Could be a number of problems. It could be a power supply failing, a hard drive failing, or the motherboard failing. Let's go through the list and narrow it down.

Let's first check out the power supply. Download Speed Fan at the following link:

http://www.almico.com/speedfan426.exe

After installing it, start the program. You should see voltages at the bottom, as well at fan speeds towards the middle on the left-hand side. Make a note of all values for those two sections and post a reply with that info.

rohit

rohit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
ok installed speed fan here r the results

Vcore :1.66 V Fan1 4272 rpm
+3.3 V :3.33V Temp1 38 degrees
+5 V :5.97V Temp2 45 deg
+12 V :12.46V HDD 0 : 37 deg
-12 V :-12.28V
-5 V :5.25 V
+5 VSB : 5V
VbAT :3.28 V

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
That appears to be the problem. Your +5 voltage level is above the .5 tolerance. This will DEFINATELY cause system hangs and restarts. You will need to replace your power supply, which shouldn't cost too much.

The CPU temp (45C) is also pretty high. I also recommend cleanning the cpu cooler.

rohit

rohit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
ohhh. Thnx i will do as u say. Thnx for the response :tazz:

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
You're welcome. I hope all goes well for you. :tazz:

rohit

rohit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
nope i think i made mistake in +5V its 4.97 V not 5.97

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Make sure it is 4.97V

If so, the temp of your CPU needs to be addressed. Try giving your computer a good physical cleaning of the interior. Make sure the CPU cooler is cleanned well too. Let me know if that solves your problem. If not, we'll continue troubleshooting.

rohit

rohit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
ok. i double checked the voltage it varies frm 4.95 to 5.05 V. Tomm i will do the cleaning coz here its 12.32 am right now .Thnx for the advice

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
That's normal if it varies. See you tomorrow then. I'll be here for ya. :tazz:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
In safe mode:

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose the SETTINGS button in the Startup And RECOVERY section, and uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART

Now reboot. This will result in the BSOD error...report the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

rohit

rohit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

In safe mode:

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose the SETTINGS button in the Startup And RECOVERY section, and uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART

Now reboot. This will result in the BSOD error...report the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

Yup did what u said but when system crashed no BSOD error :) I think its a good sign right :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
almost

start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs that happened at the SAME time as your problem...list them here.

rohit

rohit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
ok i physically cleaned my pc today & also cleaned the cpu fan & heat sink .It was working very well no freezes & restarts for rooughly about 4 hrs then i started counter stirke worked well for few minutes then poooof restarts then again rebooted the comp after few seconds again restart dunno whats wrong.

@dsenette
there r no specific entries in event viewer ,although in application it says event system thats it.
Yah & i also got 2 times BSOD fisrt time it said PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON PAGED AREA , second BSOD after reboot i got Stop: c 000021a {Fatal System Error} cant remember ny further ..

Seeking help guide me in right direction the speedfan results i have attached untitled.JPG untitled.JPG

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
your temps and voltages look to be within range...so that shouldn't be it

http://support.micro...b/330303/EN-US/
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;317189

do either of those point to the full error?