Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lagging internet connection

• Please log in to reply

djod

djod

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have repeated trouble with my internet connection. I live in an area where dial up is my only option. My computer runs on Windows XP. It has an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ processor with processor speed of 2 GHz and 1.5 GB of RAM. My ISP is AOL 9.0 SE with the latest version of Internet Explorer. I run Ad-aware personal spyware DAILY. ( I am always amazed at the amount of spyware in my browser cache.)

My problem is, after I have logged on to the internet, often within minutes, sometimes within ten to fifteen minutes, my computer starts to REALLY lag. Along with the frustration of not being able to get a high speed connection, I have to deal with web pages that load REALLY slow, and sometimes to the point of not at all.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Dennis

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go

I'm glad you have your computer scanned regularly with Ad-aware, unfortunately it's not enough nowadays. Please have your computer scanned by Trend Micro's online scanner at the following site:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com

Let's see if you've got an infection or not. If you are clean, then we'll continue troubleshooting. After running the Trend Micro scan, if it does find junk, please restart your computer and see if your problem is resolved. Let me know how it goes.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 15 November 2005 - 08:37 AM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Since you got dial-up, let me change my recommendation, scanning with Trend Micro might take a long time. If you've done it already, then great.

BTW, what Anti-virus program do you use?

If you have not run Trend Micro already, then download, update, and run Spybot Search and Destroy

djod

djod

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I also run Norton anti-virus weekly.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Great, Norton Anti-virus is a good choice. Go ahead and download Spybot - Search and Destroy at the following address:

http://www.safer-net...rors/index.html

If you need help setting it up and scanning, a tutorial can be found here:

Spybot Tutorial

Let me know if it finds a lot of junk. If so, you may be infected with more junk, even if Spybot successfully cleans everything. If that is the case, I'll help you start a topic in the Malware forum where you can get cleanned by the professionals.