Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Mother & Son Build- Parts/ Everything Suggestions?

• Please log in to reply

ClueLes

ClueLes

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am interested in doing a Mother & Son Build in the upcoming months. I would love to buy parts, and try to suprise My Son with what I have in store. He is somewhat knowledgable when it comes to building systems, but I cannot Say the Same about myself. So that is why I've Come here: for Guidance and Suggestions. Please Help me aquire the Necessary parts to build a Computer that My Son will Be Proud of.

Also, If anyone has had experience in this venture and would advise against trying it- Please let me know if I am Wasting Time.

My Budget is around $2000.
I would say he is Really Really into Music and not very much into Gaming.
We will need a Monitor. Will NOT need a Printer.

Once again I really Apreciate any Help and Input. Much Thanx

Les

Advertisements

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
i will try and post a sample setup soon. my sugestion is generaly:

athlon 64-bit processor (socket 939) (3000+ to 3400+)
ASUS, MSI, or DFI motherboard. (nForce chipset)
mid range video card (geforce FX series or lower level 6 series).
1 or 2 GB DDR400 RAM.
250GB 16MBbuf 7200rpm SATA hard disk, (or for more $$$, a 10,000-15,000rpm, but it could be overkill)
Dual-Layer DVD burner
Creative labs audigy2 zs 7.1 channel sound card.

by the way, you dont need to spend $2k to get a computer to do everything he need to do, probly around or under $1000 otherwise, if you really wanna spend 2000, you could get a dual core athlon 64-bit, and a good video card in case he ever wants to play games.

Edited by Thebinaryman, 17 November 2005 - 02:13 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I built a very good Intel 3.0 system for around $900 with the following hardware.

Silver fulltower case with 420 watt PS
Foxconn Intel 865 motherboard
Intel 3.0 800FSB processor
512 Kingston value PC3200 ram(2-256 matched sticks)
Nvidia FX5200 128 MB video card
Creative Audigy sound card
NEC 3540a DVD-RW
Lite-on combo CD-RW/DVD
WD 120 gig Hard Drive

This puter does very well running graphics programs including Macromedia flash, Corel Graphics Suite, Paint Shop Pro 9, and also the webpage builder Macromedia Dreamweaver.

Just for fun i also built a Athlon barton 2800 puter.

Black-silver 400watt PS case
MSI N7ncd pro motherboard
Athlon barton 2800 333FSB processor
Kingston Value PC3200 Ram(2-256 sticks)
Nvidia 4-440 128Mb video card
Creative Audigy sound card
NEC 3520 DVD-RW
Lite-on Combo CD-RW/DVD
WD 80 Gig HD

This tower cost me $800 to build.

Both of these puters were built around 6 months ago and i have since upgraded to 1 gig memory in each, the athlon has a Nec 3550 DVD-RW and a large thermotake heatsink with a 92 mm fan now, and they both are considered as slightly outdated. In reality they both do anything i ask of them without problems. I dont do much gaming and the extra memory was installed because i like burning movies to DVD's. The athlon is noiser and runs 10 degreesC hotter than the intel. Most of the parts were bought from newegg and the Athlon was bought as a barebones case-MB-processor from a now defunked company(Internetishop). One real problem i had was the power supplys failing very early so i bought new thermotake 420 watt PS's for $36 each from newegg and installed them.

There is more expensive hardware you can buy, but i have never needed all that is in both of these puters. Newegg and tiger direct is having some great sales right now so you should be able to buy everything you need for a reasonable price. Of course, Flat panel monitors, surround sound, fancy keyboards and mice will up the price considerably.

SRX660

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Youve done something seriously wrong with the athlon then, athlons are always as a rule cooler and quieter than intels and if the athlon is worse tha the intel it must have a problem.