Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cd Drive

• Please log in to reply

Taran_Walker

Taran_Walker

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
I have recently installed a new cd drive and it is not being picked up by my computer.

Please Help!!!

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Did you install it yourself? If so, check the jumper settings on CD drive, as well as any other CD drive you have. Set them all to Cable Select. Try it again and let me know how it goes.

Taran_Walker

Taran_Walker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Do what??? Sorry could i have it in more deatail please

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
ok

Every CD drive and every hard drive has jumpers. Jumpers are ALWAYS located on the back of the drive where the cables are. They are usually black in color, but they can have different colors. Jumpers are a very tiny piece of plastic (less than a centimeter big) with metal inside. They connect two metal pins together.

You will see an area on the back of your CD drive with a bunch of metal pins. Somewhere around the pins, or on a sticker on top of the CD drive, you will see how to have the jumper(s) arranged to set it up for Cable Select (CS). Arrange the jumper(s) so the your drive is set to CS. If you have more than one CD drive, pull that one out and make sure it is set the same way.

If this doesn't work, we'll move on to something else. There are several possible causes for the computer not recognizing the CD drive.

Taran_Walker

Taran_Walker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I put it in the same way as the one before was previoulsy fitted

Edited by Taran_Walker, 15 November 2005 - 12:58 PM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Can you get into Setup and see if the drive registers in there?

To get into Setup, you have to press the button your computer tells you to right after you turn it on. It is usually something like F1, F2, Delete, or a combination of buttons.

Taran_Walker

Taran_Walker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I tried that as it sent me there and said it did not recongnize the drive it only came up with my dvd drive

Edited by Taran_Walker, 15 November 2005 - 01:11 PM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Alrighty. I will need some info before making my next recommendation.

1. What is the brand of your new CD drive?
2. Does the CD light come on at all? Or does a CD spin if you put one in?
3. How much RAM do you have on your computer?
4. What CD Burning programs do you have?
5. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling those CD Burning programs?

Taran_Walker

Taran_Walker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
The brand it is a Sony
The light comes on and it spins
i hav 512mb of RAM
None i just burn of my itunes

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
I got 2 more ideas, let's try the more likely first:

Reopen your computer. Find the ribbon cable for the new CD Drive (The ribbon cable is the wide, flat cable. Usually grey in color). Push in on it and make sure the cable is plugged into the CD driver very snugly.

Please check the jumpers to make sure they are set to Cable Select. Even if they are positioned just like your old CD drive, this new one may have a different way to arrange them to set it up for Cable Select. This is an important setting because it tells your computer what ID to assign to the drive. If it is not set up correctly, your computer won't recognize the drive.

Advertisements

Taran_Walker

Taran_Walker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
It was same model as before i reali dnt no what to do i have tried everything i can think of i thought it kight need a driver but it doesnt so i dnt know what to do?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
CD drives will never need a driver to be recognized.

Have you tried what I suggested in my last post, about checking the ribbon cable? It could be something as simple as a loose cable...which I believe it is. Please check it out to see if that is the case. If it isn't, we'll move on to something else.

Taran_Walker

Taran_Walker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I have checked the ribbon cable several times please can i hav some more ideas of what the problem could be

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Alrighty, try this:

Download CDGONE patch from the following address:

http://www.geekstogo...tion=show&id=15

Download it to a location that you will remember. Unzip the file into it's own folder, but don't run it yet! Let's make a backup of your registry before we run it.

To make a backup of your registry
1. Click on Start, Run. Type regedit and press enter.

2. When Registry Editor opens, you should see a window divided into 2. The at the top of the left section, you should see My computer. Click on it so it is selected.

3. In the menu bar at the top, click on Registry, Export Registry File. When the save window pops up, navigate to your hard drive (usually C:) and save it there as "Registry Backup".

4. Exit out of Registry Editor.

Now we'll use the CDGONE patch.

To use CDGONE patch
1. Open the folder that has the CDGONE patch.

2. Right-click on the file called "cdgone.reg" (it may or may not have ".reg" at the end)

3. Select Merge. If it asks you "Are you sure you want to add...", tell it yes.

4. Restart your computer and see if it worked.

Let me know how it goes.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 18 November 2005 - 09:33 AM.

Taran_Walker

Taran_Walker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Aint worked sorry