Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

[bleep] Viruses, XP and all that's blue :P

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Havoc302

Havoc302

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok well it all started with me hunting around for a BF2 code (shhhh, lol) anyways i found one and got a popup from nortons saying had a virus the instant i entered the site, i ripped out my network cable as per usual and started scanning and trying to remove it, while i was awaiting the scan i hopped on another system and started researching the viruses i had got, they weren't anything to special, but there was 3 in total: trojan.byteverify , download.trojan and trojan.moo , also along with them i got some spyware as well, the program spyaxe appeared from nowhere and along with it a real pain in the [bleep] popup in the taskbar that 'looked like' a windows one but i knew it wasn't, it was telling me my computer had been infected by spyware (der really) and to click on it and it would take me to a website to get the 'best' anti-spyware software, of course it was trying to take me to the spyaxe website.

So i proceeded to hunt through my heaps of demo disks i had from IT magazines and get all the anti-spyware programs i could find and start scanning, nortons removed some of virus (it seems it spread pretty quickly), so i installed AVG and Esudio (or something similiar to that name :tazz: ) and started scanning with them also, i removed all the viruses as far as i know, all that was left was the spyware, i got rid of spyaxe no problems, i also found on a webforum somewhere in a googlesearch how to stop the popup, was real easy, got killbox, found the file svchosts.dll (not svchost the windows one) and deleted it, the popup went away, i ran some more scans with all the different software i had and only found 1 more spyware item - removed it, then when everything else cam eup empty figured my system was cleaned, so i started going about my usual thing, went to check my mail in outlook and check the forums for eve exodus and of course the instant i opened IE the computer restarted, didn't think much of it cause when i was doing all those scans it would often restart itself when it found something but it hadn't done it again since i removed all the viruses (or at least it seemed i had), then when the computer restarted i get the error that C:\Windows\System32\system is corrupted or missing, i loaded up windows ME (just so i could get to DOS) and found that the file is still there, so it is most likely corrupted, also when i go to try and repair it with windows XP, i start the computer up and when it's loading windows setup as soon as it hits the first bit of the blue screen in windows setup it just stops and locks up the computer, i also unplugged the main HDD and just tried to install windows to the empty spare that was installed yesterday, same problem, i know the disc is ok as i have installed windows on other systems recently, any ideas?

By the way, any other version of windows get to the installer fine, on either drive, but XP just won't go past that first entering setup blue screen where all it says is "Windows XP Setup" or something to that effect...

Advertisements

headwayne

headwayne

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
whaat is this BF2 code? I do not want to go looking for one and have this experience.
Sorry to be so dumb

Edited by headwayne, 15 November 2005 - 01:02 PM.

headwayne

headwayne

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
what is this BF2 code? I do not want to go looking for one and have this experience.
Sorry to be so dumb

Havoc302

Havoc302

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Battlefield 2

Havoc302

Havoc302

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
oh, lol i never got it, closed the site straight away...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Havoc302...

Is your version of Windows XP a retail version or an OEM version. Did it come with a Certificate of Authenticity?

wannabe1

Havoc302

Havoc302

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Retail and Yes it's authentic

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Havoc302...

I asked those questions for two reasons. One, some of the checks I like to use won't work with OEM disks, and Two...none of them will work with a copy (nor would I offer my support if it were a copy).

Click Start then Run...type sfc /scannow (Note the space between sfc and /) and press "Enter". You will be asked for your installation cd, so have it handy. Wait for the scan to finish (this might take up to an hour). When it's finished, click Start then Run...type chkdsk /r (Again...note the spaces) and reboot when prompted. This will run on boot-up so restart will take a while...be patient.

wannabe1

Havoc302

Havoc302

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
well when it's trying to get into windows it just fails and says that C:\Windows\System32\System is corrupt or missing, so i can't get into windows, nor will windows XP get into installation so i can do a repair.... ?? :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Havoc302...

Sorry... :tazz:

Yes, try this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

wannabe1

Advertisements

Havoc302

Havoc302

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Step 4: A blue screen will appear and begin loading Windows XP Setup from the CD.

I would have done this already as it has worked in the past however this is where it stops loading, it tries to read from the floopy drive ?!?!?! no idea why...... then it just locks up...

Last time i had this happen to me it was also from a virus infection, however i was pretty sure i had removed it this time...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Havoc302...

Which version of XP is this? Home or Pro? SP1, SP2....?

wannabe1

Havoc302

Havoc302

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I just ripped out the HDD and plugged it into my 'dummy' system (only has windows, nortons and a few spyware programs on it, nothing personal and not on the network) i plugged the machine straight into the ADSL modem and i'm now doing a heap of scans and also a remote scan from the nortons website (just incase) this is going to take a while but hopefully will remove anything that ain't supposed to be there, then maybe when i put it back in my machine windows will get through to the installation screen and i can do a repair, either way i have now backed up my personal files and if the dummy system dies no biggy and i can just repartition and reformat the HDD from my main system....

Havoc302

Havoc302

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Oh sorry typed that before i saw your post, Windows XP Professional , no service packs on the disk, SP1 on my HDD.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Havoc302...

Sounds like you have the situation well in hand! :tazz:

You may have to remove the SP1 from your HDD for the repair to run. The cd will see the system on the HDD as a newer version of windows and will not let setup continue...

wannabe1