Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

winXP takes 1hr to load (PART 2)

• Please log in to reply

confela

confela

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello and thanks in advance for your help.

When I turn on the computer in the morning it takes at least 1hr. before the black screen turns into my lovely desktop and I can start working normally. Can you tell me why it takes so long and how to resolve this issue?. All windows updates are current and I have disabled all unnecessary win services and startup items. I thought that would make it go faster, but it has had no effect.

Thank you.

HELLO AGAIN!!!!

I was so pleased when I turned my computer off and it re-started right away.....However, when I shot it down for the night and re-start the next day, I had to wait another hour or so before my desktop comes on.

I hear the windows startup music, but there is nothing for me to do, I can't start up on safe mode because the screen is black all the time, until an hour later when the desktop appears.

I have disabled all startup programs, disabled all unnecessary services (per list) and still have the same problem. I have also disabled antivirus.

I have reloaded everything to see if that made a difference but nothing changes.

Please help.

Thank you

Edited by confela, 19 November 2005 - 02:19 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
how long has this been going on?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi confela...Welcome to G2G!

I can think of a couple of things to check real quick...

First, do you have a USB flash drive (or key) in the machine when this occurs? If yes, remove it and see if it starts faster.

Second, is you Antivirus application running a system scan on startup? If so, go to the settings and change them so it's not running on boot.

Let us know if this helps...

wannabe1

confela

confela

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you so much!!!!!

Symantec was set to scan at startup. I just changed it and shut down. My lovely desktop was waiting for me right away! :)

Have a great Thanksgiving. :tazz:

Peace :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
congratulations!!

and good catch wannabe

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
confela...

Glad to help! :tazz: You have a good Thanksgiving, too.

(Thanks dsenette.... :) )

wannabe1