Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Burning Plasic smell

• Please log in to reply

Andybikecrazy

Andybikecrazy

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
My computer hs a burning plastic smell coming from it.There are no wires touching the heatsink or graphics card heatsink. what could it be? :tazz:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
well...taking into account the amount of plastic inside of the machine...it could be anything....your best bet would be to do a full visual inspection of every piece inside the machine

Andybikecrazy

Andybikecrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
smell seems to be coming from the power suppy..... guess I need to order a new one. Would it be safe to run my pc until the new one comes? :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i would say no

Andybikecrazy

Andybikecrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
ok thats what I thought. :tazz:

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

smell seems to be coming from the power suppy..... guess I need to order a new one. Would it be safe to run my pc until the new one comes? :tazz:

Depends how much you value your existing hardware, because that PSU can damage the rest of the system.

Of course, if you don't give two hoots about it and was to throw it out anyway... :)