Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SYSTEM REBOOTS ON IT'S OWN

• Please log in to reply

DavidReno

DavidReno

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have had this ongoing problem since the begining of September. You can turn the computer on and everything works fine. The problem is intermittent, it can happen within minutes of being on or after hours. The computer will go totally blank (black screen) and reboot itself. This will continue to happen intermittently until the computer locks up in the reboot mode, all the computer, disk, and CD rom dirve lights are on an it is just frozen in that state. I have in the past just shut the main power off to the computer for a period of time and the process starts all over upon restart-up. I thought it was a power supply problem at the innitial onset and purchased a bettery powered backup and surge protection. This obviously did not solve the problem. I have taken it to the computer repair shop and they could not find anything wrong with the computer.

I have tried swapping out the internal power supply and the problem still persists. What is the next logical step for discovering what is causing this issue.

Please help me with this problem anyone.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Try running the pc with the sides off (don't touch anything inside, and turn off before removing side panels). If it's an overheating problem this should allow it to run okay as a test only, not a solution. It's just another step in tracking down the problem. if it doesn't run any better then you can eliminate that possibility and look elsewhere.