Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

:help:slower internet on AMD platforms then on INTEL

• Please log in to reply

Pr0peler

Pr0peler

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have 3 computers connected in a network thrugh a router. The connection speed is 4Mbit/s. Two computers have the AMD platform and one has the INTEL one. The two AMD comps have 512MB of ram and the INTEL one has 1GB ram. They all have on-board network adapters, freshly installed win xp sp2, same programs (firewall, antivirus,...) and the same settings for everything.

The problem is that the comp with the intel platforms gets the speed of 500kB/s and the other two get 320kB/s. I have already tryied changing the router ports, changing the cables, tryied with another PCI network adapter on all comps and nothing seems to solve the problem. I would also like to add that the hard disks are all 160GB and 60% full.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by Pr0peler, 15 November 2005 - 02:05 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
There's nothing special about an Intel processor that gives it an internet speed increase over an AMD. Okay the Intels will have faster clock speeds but for internet access it can't really download anything any faster than the server is sending it.

Plus I have an old old Pentium 166 Processor (from about 10 years ago) and it's quite capable of downloading stuff through my broadband connection at the same speeds expected of a 512k connection.

I can only assume its an issue with the sites you've downloading from on the AMD machines. Either that OR your router is giving preference for whatever reason to the Intel machine so far as the bandwidth goes.