Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Slow Computer.. HELP!

• Please log in to reply

c_ramer

c_ramer

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Ny brother has downoaded a bunch of songs onto the computer from cd's for his new I pod however he says that they do not save on the computer.. but how come we are not allowed to delete them? He says that if we do then his I-pod won't know what songs are to be on it when he hooks it up to the computer. I have told him that this does take up hard drive and now he is blaming it on everyone else and saying that it is not him making the computer slow. The rest of use use it for school projects, playing games that are on the computer such as solitare and the internet. We do no download anything. I have been running the McAfee Virus Scan and Ad-aware scan on my account as well as my sisters and faythers as they do not relly know much about computers. Please help me to figure out what is boggin the computer up and making it so slow. I need help a.s.a.p.

c_ramer

Edited by c_ramer, 15 November 2005 - 07:50 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up followed by disc defragmenter

c_ramer

c_ramer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I am doing this now.. hopefuly it works.. if not i will let you know so maybe you can help me figure it out! But does downloading songs slow the computer speed? We all have seperate accounts.. 3 are without passwords and 1 has one (my brothers) so we don't even know what all he has downloaded on his account even.. do I have to run this in every account or just one and it will scan the whole computer?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then my computer, right click the local disk then properties to see how much space there is

If when you click my computer you get a list of folders with the account names on, right click each, then properties, wait till it stops to see who is using what

Disc clean up and disc defragmenter will apply to the computer

c_ramer

c_ramer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
we ahve like 86% of free disc space and it is still running slow?
any ideas for whats causing this?

We jsut had it in to get fixed like 1 month ago and within that time it has gotten clogged up again.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
c_ramer...

How much RAM do you have on this machine?

wannabe1

c_ramer

c_ramer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
How do I figure that out?!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
c_ramer...

Right click on My Computer and choose Properties. Under the General tab, the RAM should be listed under the Computer heading near the bottom of the Properties window.

wannabe1

nikki22

nikki22

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
:tazz: this is anly a simple suggestion.....

I only know how to fix hardware problems and i was wondering how memory do you have

if you could add more memmory then maybe you can make your computer work faster

that's only a maybe

Nicolas

dagger

dagger

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

we ahve like 86% of free disc space and it is still running slow?
any ideas for whats causing this?

We jsut had it in to get fixed like 1 month ago and within that time it has gotten clogged up again.

Did you run the disk cleanup and defragment? It would be good to run chkdsk before you defragment. Since you added lots of music files, it can have caused the drive to be fragmented. Also do u have too many items loading at start? This can also slow things down, disable all unwanted items from the list. you can also uninstall programs that u dont need. Here are some links to check out
http://www3.telus.ne...mar/slowcom.htm

c_ramer

c_ramer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
we have 240MB of ram. Well today after my brother was on the computer.. my dad tried to use it and it froze. I figure he was downloading songs etc.

As for the adding more space.. our computer was just fixed and all the junk was taken off and it was basically a new computer. It was at the point that you couldn't do anything so they installed all the programs again.

But does putting songs etc take up space? I am asking for the anser b/c ,my brother claimes it doesn't and the songs that are downloaded are saved in the program not on the hard drive its self. I am trying to tel him that the program is in the hard drive so why wouldn't the songs be?

And yes I ran all the programs that were suggested. How do I figure out what should be running at start up?

Edited by c_ramer, 16 November 2005 - 08:49 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
c_ramer...

Your brother has some odd notions about how a computer works. Anything downloaded and saved is going to be on the hard drive. Many sites that you download music from can load you up with who-knows-what kind of nasty stuff...viri, spyware, malware, parasites...you name it. These can all slow down your machine.

Your Hard drive really has very little to do with how fast your machine operates...that's RAM. The speed at which applications load and documents open...that kind of stuff depends on how "organized" the hard drive is. That's why it's important to rid it of temporary files and defrag it fairly often. But...it's still the RAM and the processor that dictate how fast the machine actually operates...not how much space you have on the hard drive.

The startup programs will cause your machine to start up a little slowly and can be a drain on system resources (RAM), but you have to be careful with what you stop from loading at startup...some applications are required for Windows to run properly. There is some good information on start up programs HERE.

Have you tried running some of the programs in the malware forum. You may have some "things" on the machine that are slowing it down. Malware is always my first suspicion when the complaint is about a machine running slow.

Hope this helps.... :tazz:

wannabe1

SpiritWind

SpiritWind

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
:tazz: I hope the songs your brother is downloading from CDs are NOT from Sony Music
because there is recent news that they have put rootkits in some of their CDs
which can allow malware to hide almost undetected in your computer. Your brother's
password-protected account is putting the entire computer at risk for ALL of you .
Who actually owns the computer ? If it's your parent(s), they should insist that the
brother "open" up his account, then run a "Full System Scan" setting Ad-Aware scan
and see if it detects any malware. If Ad-Aware has not been downloaded onto the
computer while your brother's account was "active", I would encourage it be done.
There is a way, which I do not remember, that Ad-aware can be run on a computer
with multiple accounts, checking each account for malware.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
240MB of Ram isn't a lot

Music files can be large depending on the format used

Downloading files tends to fragment the drive quicker than most things