Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

I think i may be getting hacked alot

• Please log in to reply

Agentx2

Agentx2

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
when i run a few of my antispyware scans and try to see if my computer is infected with anything when i try to click on the my computer icon nothing happens. ( this happens every 2 to 4 days) and when i try to go to start it almsot freezes or crash for a short moment and i go to the my computer slection on the start menu. But when that is fine ill go back to the my computer icon on my desktop and it takes about 10 seconds to load it but when it comes up i have an window symbol in the middle of the top page and all the click parts of the left side is gone and then my computer starts losing things when i try to restart then i have to forcebilly shut it down by pressing the power button. Has anyone one else had this problem and what should i do? and or get?- "even when i go to run and msconfig 3 or 4 tabs will be missing"-this feaks me out.

Edited by Agentx2, 15 November 2005 - 10:39 PM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Agentx2!

What I suggest you do is a REPAIR INSTALLATION of windows, using the link in my signature as a guide. Don't worry, after doing this all your programs will still work and you won't lose any files or settings. All this does is replace your operating system files (C:\WINDOWS). You will need to redo all windows updates after doing this.

Please note that not all OEM Windows XP cd's support this repair option. Please post back if you are unable to do the repair and we will pursue other options.

Fenor

Agentx2

Agentx2

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
yes but i might add once i restart and do a defrag and repair through command prompt everything is fine. so should i procedd with the repair. ( note that this happens when i only run 2 or more programs and i may or have gone to a few web pages and once i exit them my computer starts acting wierd then i do a chkdsk in safemode and normal and everything turns out fine ). So should i procedd with the repair and see what happens or can i stay w/ what i am doing every week which helps like it has since i have gotten dsl. Is there any other options b/c i kinda dont like to lose all of the files i have worked on for over a year and have 49 gigs worth of doing so. i think i may need to get a window washer program which a few ppl have suggested. what does this do as i think it would help clean out my cache as i have never done that before. ( i just checked the files for the repair and i see that nothing is lost ) how do i clean out my cache? I think it may be this for some odd reason. :tazz:- i have uninstalled some programs that may have caused this 2 happens. can some1 name the programs that are hackable or accesible without knowing it b/c i may have some of those and might not even know it and also on my startup list which things should i have checked in and how many process modules should i have? procesees in system.

Edited by Agentx2, 16 November 2005 - 06:19 AM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
As I told you, you won't lose any files or settings and ALL your programs will still work afterwards. Yes, I suggest you do the repair installation. Don't forget to get ALL windows updates again after doing it. Including SP2, hotfixes, etc...

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
If you want to clean up your system of temporary files, then download CleanUp! using the link in my signature. I use it on every machine I clean up at work and hasn't failed me yet! :tazz:

Fenor

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
if this problem get's cleared up by a defrag...i suggest running chkdsk

by doing start > run > chckdsk /f

also you may want to check your ram using this tool
http://www.memtest86.com/

and i agree with fenor....doing a repair install couldn't hurt (hopefully)

Agentx2

Agentx2

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
yea that does solve the problem i do it very rarely and i think i should do it more often and it fixes it. and i may have figured out why this could be happening. just to make sure i am secure enough i am going to get the program called blackice. its a fw program and an ip tracker of who tries to hack in from what ive heard and if that is the case i believe someone may just be toying around with me b/c i do do alot of testing for game groups and mods for a couple of communties and am very busy at that. but thanks for the ideas ant that cleanup tool and ram tool might help me more as i have 14 programs or a little less to keep my computer safe. Or it may be i am just goning crazy and going wacko. but once i restart or do that chkdsk/f or lauch a game up it doesnt happen. im gonna try that cleanup tool and ram thing. and see if that helps a good bit but thanks with this problem and il post back if i have another problem which is rare and i am trying to avoid reparing or re-doing xp because only 2.4% of my entire regristry is misplaced or messed up so i am thinking about just remaking those regeristies that are messed up and that will hopefully help my system go above 97.6% effiency and this pc is 1 year and 8 months old without a new or repaired install of xp pro. which leads me to my ? is that good or bad? :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
having a firewall isn't a bad idea...but i seriously doubt that the symptoms you described are hacking related....ifyou were being hacked...the files would be gone..not fragmented....the files being fragmented sugests either a problem with your hard drive...or an issue with ram.

if your drive is failing or corrupted...it will fail to put information in the right places on the drive..causing fragmentation

if your ram is going out then it will cause the information stored within it to unload at inoportune times...also causing fragmentation.

Agentx2

Agentx2

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
well i have my windows fw or/and my sp2 fw, dsl modem fw, router fw, and i just got za fw, and i have an zv fw. ive heard that a some type of box fw is good any one have a few ideas of what a good 1 is?yea its mostly fragmented b/c i have my compression set for 1 day being every 24 hrs. does that cause that? i still have about
60% of ram that i dont use i oly use about 40% or less max. but is blackice good or should i get a box fw and what is a good 1?=like the best. im a security freak=dont like to host games. :tazz: or play on mp most of the time i just chat like i do here heh.-whats does clean up do? and does that ram thing work well b/c the ram cleaner trial i got screwed this pc up but a restart fixed it long with chkdsk/f.

Edited by Agentx2, 16 November 2005 - 05:33 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
well....since you said you have 4 firewalls already...i don't know that you would need another...heheh...

cleanup basically does what the xp disk cleanup does...deletes all the temp files and cookies and doodads like that....get's rid of useless or broken things i think.....don't think it does anything with ram..

Agentx2

Agentx2

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
well ok i got another fw already with za. but i think i found the problem. here is th problem i found and can anyone put a list of steps for me according to this so i dont mess up like in simple terms one by 1 or go by this with that information. what is this mean W2kVersion.

http://securityrespo...2.jubon@mm.html

ive gotten that worm removed 4 to 5 times and it keeps being removed and coming back by an old scanner i have. does anyone have any other scanners that i could take it off with?-i run every cleanup program i have everyday or every 2 days so i keep this this going as fast as i can.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
Please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

Agentx2

Agentx2

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
well i just ran all scans and found about to backdoor worms and a broadjump program that was running forever with spyware coming in and was leaching in spyware and viruses so i just disabled it. thing is when i ran a scan or tried to my system paused for about 20 secs. and when i opened up my computer (icon) the whole left side was gone. what is this about? (freaked me out so i shut off quickly). (did find a tone of other stuff mostly reg keys and trojans and worms thats about it since ive gotten zone alarm the messups or "hacking" as i call it seems to have slowed down 20%- so i might get another one or can someone plz suggest something for me to get for free to help me out here?) i think i need the help. anyways im going to see what that memtest does but what do i do with that unzipped folder?

Agentx2

Agentx2

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
problem solved. eveverything works fine now since im done a complete system rehaul with about 13 different programs of my choice. pc is at 99.3 effeniceny and i didnt even redo my os!-and thanks to those 5 programs= i have removed close to 30 programs and files like worms trojans and viruses out of my system by using reg. editor. are there any better ones then those i wonder.?

Edited by Agentx2, 31 December 2005 - 04:56 AM.