Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Deleting PC History

• Please log in to reply

theundertaker

theundertaker

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
how can i delete my pc history to save on memory, iv heard that the history stays in the pc and never gets deleted, how can i deleted all the history from like websites to save on memory

Advertisements

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Hi Thundertaker,

I think you are refering to index.dat files - these files are always locked during a Windows session and can not be deleted easily. They record every website, every picture etc. that you view.

If you want to free up some space try the following:

Click START - RUN type in %TEMP% click EDIT - SELECT ALL and delete.

goto Control Panel - Internet Options - DELETE FILES.

Download EASY CLEANER from here: http://www.majorgeek...ownload414.html

It will clean out all unused and unnecessary files from your system.

ONLY USE REGISTRY and UNNECESSARY OPTIONS. In Unnecessary I check the top 3 boxes only.

Delete all it finds (I have never had a problem with it). You may well have hendreds of files to delete.

theundertaker

theundertaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
what would happen when i delete all the files, cause my cookies, and the history, and temporarly internet files and stuff r there

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
You can safely delete all temp files. You don't need temp files at all.

Cookies are not needed either - and will be replaced if you revisit certain sites unless you block them.

You can set your history to delete automatically of you want - but again, unless you specifically want to keep the record it is not needed.

If you have sites like this one in your favourites and have it arranged that your login name and password is remembered, you will probably have to login again first time after deleting these files.