Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Reinstalling XP- Ugly Blue Screen

• Please log in to reply

Too40shorty

Too40shorty

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I'm trying to reinstall XP on a laptop that had it to begin with, but it was so screwed up, formatting and starting over was the only option. The laptop has no cd-drive or floppy-drive so everything I do is by using external devices. I cleared all the partitions and went to install windows and it doesn't recognize my external dvd burner, so I am using a 6-disk boot set from Microsoft. When I get to disk 6, I put the disk in and press enter like it says and I get the nasty blue screen. I've tried it several times and I always get the same ugly blue screen. I'm not sure what to do next. If anyone has any ideas, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Here's a link to the old posts about this problem.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
some motherboards have an option to boot from usb....can you check your bios and see if this is an option...ths would allow you to boot from the external drive..which may work better than your floppies...

also...what is the exact wording of the blue screen?

Too40shorty

Too40shorty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
The blue screen says "It says UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME." I thought it might be a one-time problem so I tried the bootdisk set 2 more times, same result. There isn't an option to boot from USB. The only options I have are Atapi CD-Rom drive, Diskette Drive, and Harddrive.

Thanks!
Too40shorty

Too40shorty

Too40shorty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I also tried to see if it'd pick up my external harddrive, but with no success. I still get the No OS Found. Any ideas?