Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NEW COMP POWERS UP THEN FANS START FLASHING

• Please log in to reply

ghoztmic

ghoztmic

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey everybody. I'm having some problems with a new machine I put together yesterday.
Here are the basic specs.

Intel D865PERL Socket 478 Motherboard
Intel Celeron 340 2.93Ghz 533FSB Socket 478
Ultra 512MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz CL3
Hitachi 80GB Serial ATA HD 7200/8MB/S-ATA-II-300
Ultra X-Connect 500W ATX PS w/2 80mm Fans Titanium

plus a 120mm fan, and 80mm fan

My problem is this...
- I turn the machine on...
- The fans spin to full power, and the LED fan lights up...
- After about 3 seconds of being on, the fans dramatically decrease in speed, and the LED fan starts FLASHING
- The computer still proceeds to bootup, but the fans are nearly silent, and the LED fan continues to flash

What could be happening that makes my computer (seemingly) cut to half power?
Has anybody heard of anything like this? Please help me ASAP I'm desparate!

.Confused.

Advertisements

ghoztmic

ghoztmic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
please help! i need to know if this problem is serious or not. whats causing the "power drain" people??

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go.

I'm not the best when it comes to hardware, but I doubt it's a "power drain". I believe that your particular hardware might have a sensor that sets the fans at the correct speed, depending on the temperature of your computer.

Have you installed Windows yet? If so, there is a program you can download that can force your fans to spin at full speed to see if there is a power issue or mechanical issue or not.

ghoztmic

ghoztmic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes, I have a fresh copy of Windows 2000 on it.

So, the sensor would make the fans slow down, and the LED flank blink, seeing as it gets it power to light up from how much power is given to it in general?

Where can I find this software?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Download Speed Fan at the following link:

http://www.almico.com/speedfan426.exe

After installing it, start the program. You should see voltages at the bottom, as well at fan speeds towards the middle on the left-hand side. Make a note of all values for those two sections and post a reply with that info.

To set your fans at full speed, there are settings towards the bottom (called Speed01, Speed02, etc). You can set them all at 100 percent and your fans should spin at full speed. If you don't hear a difference, there is most likely a problem.