Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

!Servers!

• Please log in to reply

dan3411

dan3411

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
well i know this sounds kind of dumb but hey.. :)

could someone please answer me some of these questions please they have been bugging me for a while, i have an idea of the following questions but everyone keeps saying different things..

1)- What is a server?

2)- What is the servers purpose?

3)- How would one go about connecting one up?

4)- And anything else about them, anything at all?

Fell free to add any other things. any information would be much apreciated :tazz:

Cheers Dan

Edited by dan3411, 16 November 2005 - 10:52 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
1) A server is stereotypically a huge great bulky machine with lots of funky looking tools and flashing lights. In reality, it can be no bigger than a standard desktop PC.

2) Servers are typically used for storing files on them though you can set them up to route internet traffic through them as well. If you wanted to.

3) At its simplest level, just buy a router and some cable, plug all the systems into the router and the server plug into the router and there you go.

4) Any PC can be a fileserver; novel uses for older slower systems. I have a computer from 10 years ago, I use it for storing files and backup purposes.

DXQ

DXQ

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Servers have a purpose ... that is to serve.

They can serve files ... central site where all client PC's can access them.
They can serve applications ... classic example is a game server ... like playing BattleField 2 over the internet.
They can serve resources ... such as printers or modems where all client PC's can access them.

You need to build a network.

It is as simple as having an ethernet card in your client PC and in the Server. Then place both of them on a hub or switch.
You will then configure a network protocol to use to communicate ... commonly TCP/IP.
Then finally you will setup the client and the server to share these resources/files/applications.

There are specific server operating systems made for this purpose ... Windows 2000 server, Windows Server 2003, Novell Netware, and most Unix/Linux operating systems.