Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freezing, "Illegal Operation", "Error running scripts&q

• Please log in to reply

nbeamer

nbeamer

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I was referred here by the Malware Removal Forum. They helped me a lot, but suggest that my remaining problems may not be malware related. I have (at least) four major symptoms:

(1) The system periodically runs slow, especially if it has been idle for a while. During this, the hard drive sounds like it's busy doing "other things", and cursor movement freezes and unfreezes every few seconds. Rebooting (or shutting down and restarting) clears this up, but it may recur later.

(2) Sometimes the system freezes, especially when being woken-up from screen saver/monitor power saver mode (it just doesn't wake up), and occasionally when closing a window, application, or browser. A cntrl-alt-del (or two) might work to reboot out of the freeze, but often a hard-reboot is necessary.

(3) In attempts to address the above problems, I ran scanreg.exe /fix from the command prompt, and it reported that it repaired the registry. Then I rebooted and tried to run System File Checker. When I clicked Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Information, I got the following MSinfo32 message:

"This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. If the problem persists, contact the program vendor. Details>> MSINFO32 caused an exception 03H in module MSVCRT40.DLL at 0167: 7968ce81.........."

I am therefore not able to open the System Information window. I was, however, able to run the System File Checker via Start > Run > SFC. It seemed to run successfully, but it did not ask me for anything from the 98SE CD, so I wonder if it really did anything useful.

(4) Often, when opening a web page (including geekstogo.com), I get a message stating that there were "errors running scripts", and it asks whether I want to continue running scripts on that page.

Any help with these issues would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can look at this

http://www.geekstogo...p?showtopic=479

Check if sfc.exe gives a different result

nbeamer

nbeamer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Keith,

I'm confused. Are you saying to remove and reinstall Win98SE, and then run SFC again to compare? Or are you saying SFC.exe is different from Start > Run > SFC, and that I should run SFC.exe to compare to my running of Start > Run > SFC?

Thanks,

nbeamer

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
type sfc.exe to see if you get a different response, the system file check should give a summary of what it got up to

If that does nothing then the method in post 2 lets you repair install 98 without losing your data, though you will lose your e-mails, and some settings, you will need acces to the installation CD's for programmes

nbeamer

nbeamer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Keith,

I tried running sfc.exe, both by typing Start > Run > sfc.exe and by finding and double clicking the file sfc.exe. In all cases the response was the same as in my original run, except that in subsequent runs, 0 files were added to the verification data file. If it means anything significant, the log for the original run reported that 1580 files were checked and 1580 files were added to the verification data file. The files were mostly .dll and .exe files. This may have been the first time I've run sfc on this system, so maybe these additions to the verification data file were to establish a baseline, for future corrupted file checks?

Regardless, why didn't sfc ask me to insert my win98SE installation disk to restore corrupted files?

Thanks,

nbeamer

Edited by nbeamer, 17 November 2005 - 09:51 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
With it adding all the files, that's unusual

I would either repair it, as per the previous post, then consider backing up the data you need, and doing a clean install