Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Clearing Entire Computer

• Please log in to reply

Jaelynn

Jaelynn

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello, I am new to this forum, and I don't know much about computers other than the typical things an everyday computer user would know. So please bear with me. Also, I apologize if this topic is already posted, or I am not in the right section.

I was wondering if there is a way to get EVERYTHING off of my computer. I'm selling it, and I don't want my intstant message conversations, visited websites, credit cards numbers or anything else accessible. I thought about just rebooting it, but I need to know for sure that all of these things will be gone.

Thanks,
Jaelynn

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Depending on who you are selling it to, you could consider installing a new hard drive and keeping your existing one, which you could then install as a slave to the one in your new PC

You can use the hard drive manufacturer's drive utility to wipe the drive, 8 hours or so

There isn't a completely guaranteed safe way of wiping a drive which can still be installed on to a PC