Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System keeps Locking up

• Please log in to reply

Paddy_Garvey

Paddy_Garvey

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Please, Please, Please, Can anyone help me?
I never had a problem on my computer until recently. What happens is that my computer becomes inactive and the icons become useless.
Once I've checked my e-mails and I've looked on the internet I close both these applications. I then go to another application, example being start menu. Clicking on this the start button looks as if it has been depressed and I can still move the mouse arrow. but nothing happens. All of my applications are completely frozen.
I then press crt, alt, delete, and after 3 times the computer shuts down.
The computer then restarts and we then go through the same process.
So in conclusion, I get the opportunity to have 1 go on the net or/and 1 go in my e-mails then when I go to either or another Icon my computer completely freezes.
I do not wish to reformat my computer as it does not recognise my CD burner anymore and any other devices which I try to Add (digital camera, memory stick plug in, mobile phone)

Hope someone can help

Advertisements

Paddy_Garvey

Paddy_Garvey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
rfkjberiurgweiubwr

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Paddy_Garvey...Welcome to G2G!

How long ago did this start happening?

wannabe1

Paddy_Garvey

Paddy_Garvey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks very much for your reply to my topic.
This must have started happening approximately 3 months ago. In that time I've been trying various spywares, anti virus, C cleaner, error doctor, defrags disk clean up, absolutely anything which looks as though it may help!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Paddy_Garvey...

I asked how long this has been happening because there is a limited restore feature in Windows 98 that we may have used. I don't think it will go back that far, though. 98 keeps 5 backups of the registry that can be restored...if you would like to try this procedure, follow the instructions below.

Click Start then Run and type scanreg /restore into the Run box (Note the space before the /) and press "Ok"...You will be presented with a screen containing five "snapshots" of your system you can restore to. Use the arrow keys and choose one (because your problem has been going on so long, choose the 5th one down in the list) and press "Enter"...type Y at the prompt and press "Enter". Reboot.

If this procedure doesn't help, we can try a Repair Install of Windows 98.

Let me know how it goes...

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 16 November 2005 - 05:42 PM.

Paddy_Garvey

Paddy_Garvey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks very much for your advice wannabe1. I tried doing what you said but it comes up "cannot restore from windows. shutdown to DOS and run scanreg exe/ restore"
I know this has something to do with the start up screen.
Cheers

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Paddy_Garvey...

Restart the machine in MS-DOS. In WIN98 this can be done from the shut down options.

Click "Start" and choose "Shut Down" then choose "Restart in MS_DOS Mode" and click "Ok".

At the command prompt (C:\Windows>), type scanreg /fix (Note the space before /fix ... the command should be C:\WINDOWS>scanreg /fix) and press "Enter". When the scan completes press "Enter" to exit the registry scan and then press "Ctrl + Alt + Delete" to restart.

Let me know how this goes...

wannabe1

Paddy_Garvey

Paddy_Garvey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Tried your advice and it worked to a tee, Wannabe 1. Now I'm stuck with the second part of my Query.
That is that there are various hardware add ons which my computer tells me do not exist. E.g I've got stuff on windows media player and I was trying to burn a disk and my computer tells me I have no device capable of burning disks. I've got a CDRW.
Also I've tried attaching a memory stick to a usb port and it does not recognise that.
I've been to the section "add new hardware" and it tell me that it needs an update of the drivers. This I do only for it to go back to the first window, after telling me it's "downloading server information"

I used to be able to burn disks no probs. I bought a multi USB attatchment and nothing has worked right since.
I would like to attach my phone, a camera, memory sttick, not all at once but at some point and it's not working.
Just wondering if it maybe has something to do with not recognising My CDRW>
Thanks for all your help Wannabe1

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Paddy_Garvey...

Sounds like you are missing some drivers. Please download Everest Home Edition, install it, run it using the "Report" icon, choose "All Pages" and then "HTML". Attach a log to this thread.

This will give us the information we need to track down your missing drivers.

wannabe1

Paddy_Garvey

Paddy_Garvey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Wannabe thanks for your help in this matter. I've done as you have instructed but I don't know what you mean by saying " attach a log to this thread. How do I do this as I've got the report?

Edited by Paddy_Garvey, 17 November 2005 - 02:34 PM.

Advertisements

Paddy_Garvey

Paddy_Garvey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Device

Edited by Paddy_Garvey, 17 November 2005 - 02:36 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Paddy_Garvey...

I have copied the log for review...you may now edit it out of this thread.

wannabe1

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
wannabe1...

Download and install These Drivers for your CDR/RW drive. This is a zip file so if you don't have a zip utility on your machine, you can download FreeZip from the link in my signature. It's easy to uninstall if you wish to do so, but is a pretty handy utility...you may want to keep it. Extract the file to your desktop and double click it to start the installation.

The USB hub is recognized by your system...let's make sure USB support is enabled in BIOS. Restart your machine and enter the BIOS setup. This is usually accomplished by tapping the F1 key or the Delete key during bootup. Watch the bottom of the first boot screen to find out which key it is for your machine...it will say: "Press [key] to enter setup".

You may have to look around a bit to find this setting and I can't really be of much help here as all versions of BIOS are a little different. You will be navigating using the arrow keys, changing settings with the + and - keys, and selecting with the Enter key...all these instructions will be located in the BIOS window. You need to make sure that Legacy USB Support is Enabled. Save the settings (usually F10) and exit BIOS.

Reboot (Ctrl + Alt + Delete) and see if everything is working properly...post back with the results.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 17 November 2005 - 03:14 PM.

Paddy_Garvey

Paddy_Garvey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Wannabe1, I've clicked the link for my cdrw. I've clicked save and when I open what I've just down loaded the screen goes black, with "specified command Search directory bad."
Underneath that a couple of microsoft TMs and underneath that a flashing cursor with a c:\>

In between times I'm going to go in to my bios
Cheers
Weres a signature on a post by the way?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Paddy_Garvey...

That's an odd one.... :tazz:

Try the FreeZip to extract the file (signature is at the bottom of each of my posts...FreeZip is one of the links there, farthest to the right).

Let me know what you find with the BIOS settings.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 17 November 2005 - 04:37 PM.