Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem booting in Safe mode.

• Please log in to reply

Eric.Wenzel

Eric.Wenzel

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hello gents, My name is Eric.
I am currently helping a friend over the phone with a virus problem, and she ran into a problem I have not seen personally in my time dealing with/troubleshooting the computers here at my job. My personal computer is a different story, if things get too hairy I backup necessary files to an external and reload the nasty lil thing.
In any case, in the steps Ive provided her to remove the virus she must start up in safe mode. unfortunately when she logs on to safe mode she gets a black screen (like the monitor would be off) I cannot troubleshoot this problem in person unfortunately. Im currently stationed in Hawaii and she is in NY. Any clue as to what this problem could be, or a work around for it, would be greatly appreciated.
Send an E-mail to WenzelEJ...mcbh.usmc.mil
(...=@)

Thank you. Replys to this post will be monitored as well. E-mails would be more direct.

Advertisements

Jag11

Jag11

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts
What is the method you've suggested to her?

It's because there are 2 ways to boot in Safe Mode,

1. the F8 method
2. the msconfig method

Have you tried both?

EDIT:

If you'll use the F8, it would normally take you to a black screen and it will let you choose Safe Mode.

Eric.Wenzel

Eric.Wenzel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you for the reply. ^_^
I suggested she use F8, the problem was after she selected Safe Mode, the screen would go black. The monitor was just as good off as it was on. :tazz:

I managed to work around that and eliminate the virus (to the best of my knowledge without physically being there), but I am still curious as to a fix/workaround for this problem. It would be a useful bit of knowledge in the workplace.

Semper Fidelis
-Eric

Edited by Eric.Wenzel, 18 November 2005 - 03:52 AM.