Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What are these two updates?

• Please log in to reply

jen147

jen147

• PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
Do I need them? They don't make any sense to me. :tazz:

Optional software updates
Microsoft Windows XP

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0: x86 (KB829019)
Download size: 22.4 MB , 11 minutes
The .NET Framework version 2.0 improves scalability and performance with improved caching, application deployment and updating with ClickOnce, and support for the broadest array of browsers and devices with ASP.NET 2.0 controls and services. After you install this update, you may have to restart your computer. Details...
Don't show this update again

Update for WMDRM-enabled Media Players (KB902344)
Download size: 614 KB , less than 1 minute
Install this update on your PC if you use a portable device that accesses subscription media content protected by Windows Media Digital Rights Management. After you install this update, you may have to restart your computer. Details...
Don't show this update again

Advertisements

SpiritWind

SpiritWind

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
:tazz: If it does not make sense, then most likely you do NOT need them !?
I know I have not downloaded them onto my computer .
It does say "Optional" updates .

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
the first one is the MS .NET framework needed by some programs you may come across on the internet that you might wish to use. I find that this is often unnecessary and takes up too much memory for my liking so I've never installed it or needed it either.

I think the second one might be a patch if you want to copy music under digital rights management to a portable device. It fixes something or other but most people don't have DRM protected media anyway and if you do, you'll know about it because it's a complete pain

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the dotnet frame work one..i think you probably should get....alot of programming is moving towards the dotnet scheme...so you'll see more and more programs that aren't gonna work without that framework in place...

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
Thanks for clearing that up!
Makes sense now... well a little... enough for me anyway! :tazz: