Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

keyboard error or virus?

• Please log in to reply

jrishaban

jrishaban

• Pip
  • 4 posts
few days back, my xp fails to load and ended up with error blue screen. reformatting, new xp installation, win98 installation, fdisk - nothing helped me. finally i found its due to defected ram. then i replaced that one and installed xp-sp2 successfully.

after a day, when i switched on my pc, my smps became dead suddenly. i bought a new smps and it worked fine without any problem.

2 days later, certain keys ( z, a, q, 1 and esc ) on my keyboard stopped working. i replaced it with another one - not new. but all the keys were worked.

after a day, while browsing, my zone alarm pro indicated 'sethc.exe' tried to do 'something'. i choose to allow this operation. suddenly, some other keys stops functioning - pgdown,end, 1, 2,3,4,7,8,9,0 (keys below f series)

i suspected it might be a virus and scanned my harddisk for viruses, spywares, etc. nothing worth to find the problem. no virus, no spywares....

strange and funny.

what shall i do?

guys, plz suggest.

thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Viruses are strictly software only, there's no way it could have damage your keyboard physically (power surges, on the other hand, could possibly send voltages through the board, to your keyboard connector and then up the cable to the keyboard).

It could just be that you're unlucky in the run of keyboards you've got - it's known as Sod's Law and its perfectly plausbile that you picked up two keyboards that were just about to fail, though of course you had no way of knowing.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I've heard of a virus that affects hardware. It causes the hard drive to freak out and scratch itself. How in the world does it do that, I don't know. This is a very old virus, but still...

Although it is quite plausible that you could of had two bad keyboards, I'd still like to check a few things, just to be on the safe side. :tazz:

Let's first check out the power supply. Download Speed Fan at the following link:

http://www.almico.com/speedfan426.exe

After installing it, start the program. You should see voltages at the bottom, as well as different temperatures on the right-hand side. Make a note of all values for those two sections and post a reply with that info. If you would rather post a screenshot, that would be even better.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 16 November 2005 - 06:36 PM.

jrishaban

jrishaban

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

http://www.almico.com/speedfan426.exe

After installing it, start the program. You should see voltages at the bottom, as well as different temperatures on the right-hand side. Make a note of all values for those two sections and post a reply with that info. If you would rather post a screenshot, that would be even better.

Thanks a lot for your input.

I installed 'SpeedFan' successfully. But I can't see any readings as you say. I think, the s/w is not compatible with my pc.

In the 'Readings' Tab, the bottom and right side area having empty boxes only. :(

Any suggestions?

jrishaban

jrishaban

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Got one more problem now.

windows scan disk removed some files after i have finished norton scan in safe mode.

now, programs->accessories->accessiblity menu have some links like pr56.tmp, pr5.tmp.

Its interesting that the keyboard tool to enter the key via mouse click also removed in windows disk scan.

amazinggggg.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts

I installed 'SpeedFan' successfully. But I can't see any readings as you say. I think, the s/w is not compatible with my pc.

That's correct. You don't have sensors for SpeedFan to read. :tazz:

Got one more problem now.

windows scan disk removed some files after i have finished norton scan in safe mode.

now, programs->accessories->accessiblity menu have some links like pr56.tmp, pr5.tmp.

Its interesting that the keyboard tool to enter the key via mouse click also removed in windows disk scan.

amazinggggg.

I'm starting to think this is more than hardware. Have your computer scanned by the following online scanners:

Kaspersky's Online Scanner
Trend Micro's online scanner

The Kaspersky scanner does not fix anything, it only allows you to save a report. Let me know how much junk it finds. The Trend Micro will fix problems if it finds them. You may have to start a thread in the Malware Forum. Let me know how it goes.

jrishaban

jrishaban

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Here is the log of online scan using kaspersky.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 KASPERSKY ON-LINE SCANNER REPORT
 Friday, November 18, 2005 03:55:10
 Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
 Kaspersky On-line Scanner version: 5.0.67.0
 Kaspersky Anti-Virus database last update: 17/11/2005
 Kaspersky Anti-Virus database records: 150694
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scan Settings:
	Scan using the following antivirus database: standard
	Scan Archives: true
	Scan Mail Bases: true

Scan Target - My Computer:
	A:\
	C:\
	D:\
	E:\

Scan Statistics:
	Total number of scanned objects: 46721
	Number of viruses found: 3
	Number of infected objects: 2
	Number of suspicious objects: 1
	Duration of the scan process: 6871 sec

Infected Object Name - Virus Name
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\Quarantine\080C0552.htm	Suspicious: Exploit.HTML.Mht
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\Quarantine\0A962886.hta	Infected: Trojan.JS.StartPage.a
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\Quarantine\1AE83168	Infected: Virus.VBS.Redlof.n

Scan process completed.

have any idea?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
The Kaspersky scan is clean. The files that were found were handled by Norton already. What did the Trend Micro scan find?