Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Getting email not addressed to me How can this happen

• Please log in to reply

TenEsee

TenEsee

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have been getting a lot of Span email that isn't even addressed to my account. How can this happen? I've tried Mail Washer and bounced back a lot of it and that doesn't help, got Spam Blocker in through isp server and that puts it into a seperate folder but it just keeps coming. Every time I have ever sent email and didn't have the email address correct it was always bounced back to me. Thanks.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi TenEsee...Welcome to G2G!

Have you selected the option to view the "complete header"? It may be that your address is added as a CC (Carbon Copy) or, more likely, a BCC (Blind Carbon Copy). In any case, your address is in there somewhere or it wouldn't be hitting your inbox.

wannabe1

TenEsee

TenEsee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for the quick response, I'll check it more closely but before when I saw it was just span I would bounce it back. But nothing I do seems to slow them down any. Thanks for your help. have a good.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
TenEsee...

What e-mail service are you using? Is it an ISP or Web-based service?

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 16 November 2005 - 07:41 PM.

TenEsee

TenEsee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks Wannabe1
My isp is earthlink and using outlook express mail program. Also using Mail Washer pro to try to bounce and filter out some of this span and the spam blocker through earthlink. I also identify each spam and report it through the spam blocker program as spam and have tried for months to bounce it with the mail washer program but nothing seems to help much in way of stopping it. You have any suggestions as to what more I might try short of changing my email address? Thanks for you help.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
TenEsee...

Changeing the e-mail address would be the most effective. And, as much as I dislike Symantec products, Norton Anti Spam 2005 actually works very well...it's about $40. (I'll bet I get "razzed" for recommending a Norton product...I'm notorious for being down on their stuff :) )

Check out the Firefox / Thunderbird combo and combine that with a G-mail account...That's a real winning combination! :tazz: You can set up Thunderbird to filter the Earthlink mail and delete it or leave it on the server. It does take a while to "train", but works pretty well. (Yahoo has pretty good filters, too.)

Another thing to think about is to set up a free account at a web-based provider and use that account when you have to give an e-mail address for downloading or some other "registration" you think might generate spam to your inbox.

Guard your personal e-mail address with your life!

wannabe1

TenEsee

TenEsee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

TenEsee...

Changeing the e-mail address would be the most effective. And, as much as I dislike Symantec products, Norton Anti Spam 2005 actually works very well...it's about $40. (I'll bet I get "razzed" for recommending a Norton product...I'm notorious for being down on their stuff :) )

Check out the Firefox / Thunderbird combo and combine that with a G-mail account...That's a real winning combination! :tazz: You can set up Thunderbird to filter the Earthlink mail and delete it or leave it on the server. It does take a while to "train", but works pretty well. (Yahoo has pretty good filters, too.)

Another thing to think about is to set up a free account at a web-based provider and use that account when you have to give an e-mail address for downloading or some other "registration" you think might generate spam to your inbox.

Guard your personal e-mail address with your life!

wannabe1

TenEsee

TenEsee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
This morning I got four more emails with out my address on any of them. I pulled up the headers and no place could I find my address in there. All four was trying to sell stock in FPPL and all of them was from different senders. I signed up for another email address on Yahoo.com but you maybe right that I wind up having to change my email address, thanks for the help and have a good day.