Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MSN Messenger not working

• Please log in to reply

balgill1000

balgill1000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
i did the temp folder thing, but it left 2 files on there that i couldn't delete, i reboted, but i still wasn't able to delete them.

this was also something interesting that i found, i use mozilla, but when i tried using internet explorer, it works but not for hotmail.com b/c it says that cookies must be enabled on my browser, when i tried changing them (tools->internet options->privacy) it kept on changing the settings back to custom which was really odd and made no sense...i kept on chnaging the settings to allow cookies, and it kept on changing them back to custom which i have no idea what it is (the custom setting)...then i tried overriding the cookie handling for individual websties...but every single time i types in www.hotmail.com and clicked "add" it went to error right away and internet explorer shut down....i have no clue how to change the cookie sttings any other way...

Advertisements

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Are you running any antiviral/firewall program that might be doign this?

Norton's Very insidious, for example

( and for the temp, well, ok, still 2 files, let's hope it works.. :tazz:)

balgill1000

balgill1000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
well after the temp folder thing...it still didn;t work

onto the internet explorer problem..what i did waas i decided to download service pack 1 (again i think) and that "repaired" internet explorer to its usual settings....then i checked msn and it looks like some progress has been made...now it can log me in (finally) unfortunatley when i tried to make the wondow bigger (of msn) and error message came up and it closed...and now it keeps on doing that if i try to do anything (i.e. scroll up/down)....this just keeps on getting weirder..i guess it was the settings on the internet exploroer which prevented msn messengeer from working in the first place...now that the settings are fixed why is it now doing this....but as i said before..some progress has been made.

balgill1000

balgill1000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
btw...i have avast as my antivirus, spybot S&D, ad-aware, spyware blaster, and microsoft antispyware...but i dont think their the problem cuz i always had them

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
No, i dont think either...

Try re-installing msn messenger.

and as for the service pack, well you cant redownload a service pack.

uninstall msn,
make sure you have everything microsoft update has,
then reinstall MSN and tell me if it works.

balgill1000

balgill1000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
i uninstalled it then installed it again...and its "working"...and by that i eman it is very unstable...for example..again if i try resizing the msn messenger window it produces an error message..or sumtimes if i try scrolling again a error message...the only other thing i can think of is..maybe because its cuz i i dont have service pack 2 installed...and thats b/c it won't install on my computer

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Come again? Do you know why SP2 wont install?

There are 2 simple reasons for that. Either your system is badly corrupted by malware, or you have an illegal copy of windows.

balgill1000

balgill1000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
just wondering...since I don't have SP2 installed, could that be the reason that my MSN Messenger 7.5 is so unstable?