Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Brand new PC: IE not working..

• Please log in to reply

Big Boss

Big Boss

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My friends brand new PCs IE is not working. It is not working at all, when clicking on a link or entering an address. It works 1% of the time though but it goes extrmely slow. The only things he has added into his PC are McAfee Virus scan/Firewall and AIM. He tried disabling the firewall but that did not work. And it wont let him go to Windows update.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Big Boss...

First check that the security settings are not set above Medium in the IE Internet Options (Tools > Internet Options > Privacy tab).

As a test, next time your friend is able to get IE to work, have him download Firefox. Install it and try to surf the internet. If he encounters the same issues with Firefox, uninstall the McAfee using Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel...try the IE briefly (no antivirus...don't download or surf very long). If things are better without the McAfee, try using a different AV such as Avast or AVG.

Let us know how this goes...we're just troubleshooting so far... :tazz:

wannabe1

SpiritWind

SpiritWind

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
:tazz: And it would probably be helpful if you listed the names of the programs
that were already on the computer when it was purchased !? McAfee &
AIM are not the best for anti-virus, firewall and Instant Messenger.
I have Avast Home edition ( free ) antivirus, Sygate Personal firewall ( free )
and Yahoo IM .

Big Boss

Big Boss

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yeah we have tried all of that stuff besides uninstalling Mcaffee. I should have said it in my first post . He said it worked fine when he first booted up the PC. He said its wierd because most of the time it doesnt work but sometimes it goes really fast and sometimes it goes really slow like 10% of the time maybe. His computer is great and his internet connection is DSL using a Linksys Wireless router. He said [bleep] get his dad to fix it tomarrow. Thanks a lot for the help. If you have any other suggestions feell free to tell me. Thanks again.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
McAfee is the culprit here. Uninstall it because it doesn't work well and hoses your Internet connection. Once it's uninstalled, go and download AVG antivirus and Microsoft Antispyware. They are both free and do more then McAfee ever could. If you want a good firewall that is free get Sygate or Zone Alarm. You can google for all of these and find them easily.

Fenor

Big Boss

Big Boss

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Awsome thanks I really appreciate the help.