Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Proper Resolution?

• Please log in to reply

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

I created a half hour long movie with Microsoft's Photo Story 3. For quality, I've saved the file at the highest resolution this program will support (1024 x 768). I had a friend who was to make this into a DVD for me and I would duplicate it later here at my house. I'm starting to get the feeling this guy isn't going to pull through for me. I then hit the stores and checked out the software for DVD authoring. I'm using ULEAD Movie Factory. The file Photo Story 3 makes is a .wmv file. Movie Factory, however, only works with MPEG files. I then downloaded a free program to convert my .wmv to an MPEG. Now, what I need to know is which version of MPEG to use. I live in the United States. Do I use MPEG 1 or MPEG 2? In addition, which resolution should I convert this video into? I remember my friend saying that leaving it at such a high resolution will cause some of my low res photos to be pixelated. Should I lower the resolution during the conversion process, or re-save the original file in a lower resolution.

I know a lot about computers, but have never worked with DVD authoring like this before. Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.....

Advertisements

st22

st22

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 243 posts
Hi,

Basically you would want the file to be 720 x 480, because this is the resolution of the TV (standard definition, 4:3, NTSC, United States Residents). (720 x 576 if you are a PAL user, (no US)).

For ULEAD Movie Factory (UMF) you want MPEG2, but it would be eaiser, and higher quality to save the original file as an .AVI, as UMF can convert the avi to the right format for the DVD.

Hope this helps.

Edited by st22, 16 November 2005 - 11:20 PM.

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Thank You...

I'll give that a try sometime today and let you know how it works out for me.

Thanks