Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sygate Personal Firewall conflict with DSL connection

• Please log in to reply

johnblitz

johnblitz

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I just changed my internet connection from Dial-Up to DSL... i have been using Sygate Personal Firewall
for years now.. and havent had problems with it until i had my DSL Connection... to make it all short...

Everytime i connect to my DSL Connection.. my computer Restarts/Resets automatically..
1st i thought there was a problem with my LAN Card but still i was getting the same problem..
until i figured out of Closing Sygate Personal firewall before connecting to my DSL connection..

after Closing Sygate Firewall i was able to connect now to my DSL connection without my computer restarting.
so i tried Running Sygate personal firewall again since i already had my DSL connected.. and
the moment i Run Sygate Firewall my computer Restarts/Resets once again.

I also tried choosing "ALLOW ALL" connections in Sygate Firewall but still my PC Restarts when i Connect to
my DSL connection..

i am unable to Connect to my DSL connection unless i CLOSE sygate personal firewall..
and the result was spywares have started appearing in my system.. T_T

anyone encoutered this problem with Sygate's Firewall before? Help T_T

Edited by johnblitz, 16 November 2005 - 10:36 PM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Didn't have your specific problem with Sygate, but it did keep forgetting to allow things I had previously told it to 'always allow'. Got so annoyed at this I switched to the free version of ZoneAlarm, which is also easier to manage and configure. Save yourself any more hassle and get ZoneAlarm. If that does the same thing it must be something else causing the problem even though the firewall is getting the blame. Only one way to be sure, change to ZoneAlarm and see what happens. Incidentally, I've disabled the Windows Firewall which is uneccesary anyway if you have a third-party one (they are all more secure than the Windows one) I found my speed dropped when running them both.

Edited by pip22, 17 November 2005 - 05:32 AM.

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
sygate has problems with some connections. aol never even connects with sygate installed. so I'd switch to ZA, its better anyway. if you connect to the net fine without sygate running then I think it's wise to believe that sygate really is causing the problem.

firewalls don't block spyware specifically so that didn't really result in you having spyware. just dont visit any dodgy sites or download any software that installs it all over the place.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs that happened at the SAME time as your problem...list them here.

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose the SETTINGS button in the Startup And RECOVERY section, and uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART

Now try to connect to your dsl connection with the firewall enabled theoretically the subsequent reboot will result in the BSOD error...report the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

johnblitz

johnblitz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

sygate has problems with some connections. aol never even connects with sygate installed. so I'd switch to ZA, its better anyway. if you connect to the net fine without sygate running then I think it's wise to believe that sygate really is causing the problem.

firewalls don't block spyware specifically so that didn't really result in you having spyware. just dont visit any dodgy sites or download any software that installs it all over the place.

actually sygate prompts me whenever processes or files are trying to access the internet thus i am informed if files are maliciously running and trying to install sumthing without me knowing.. so i am able to block and prevent installation of such malwares ^_^... kept my PC safe this way for years.. :tazz:

by the way sir dsenette thanks for the wonderful reply but somehow.. now after trying to connect again to the internet while sygate is running... my computer didnt restart anymore.. all the things i did was..

uninstall my pc-cillin because i am now trying avast...
and unchecked the AUTOMATICALLY RESTART option you mentioned above.. ^_^ i guess this was the one which fixed it perhaps?
oh and i also needed to re-install sygate personal firewall since it had problems starting earlier.. ^_^

so now my firewall is back to a fresh setting and is currently asking me to block or unblock this process.. " (NT Kernel & System) ntoskrnl.exe "
its part of windows right? so should i block it or allow it? anyway thanks for the great help! ^_^

Edited by johnblitz, 23 November 2005 - 08:19 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you are correct...to a point john....but...you can still get infected with malware....firewall or not...(you can get infected no matter what software you're running...new stuff every day with new tricks and whistles)....but...as you said..you do get notified for MOST things that try to install...it's still safe to keep up to date with anti malware/spyware/virus stuff....never EVER relly on one piece of protection to keep you safe.

johnblitz

johnblitz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
yeah! i agree! lol thats how i ended up with multiple anti viruses and anti spyware on my PC lol.. my eagerness to get this nuke sumting malware out of my pc.. neway it just slowed down my system XD.. jus the right amount is always the best XD

of course firewall and antivirus are 2 very different things.. thats why i keep in mind to have atleast one of each on my pc.. ^_^

Edited by johnblitz, 23 November 2005 - 11:18 AM.