Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help with MS WORD ICON - it's gone wild!

• Please log in to reply

Tolchock

Tolchock

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Everyone!

I downloaded the Icon Packager from Stardock and used it for a couple of weeks untill the trial period was over .. I then uninstalled it and all my Icons went back to the original Windows XP format except for my MS WORD icon .. which didn't revert back to the icon with the 'W' word but instead became this ugly txt document like icon with a red A at the lower right of the icon.. sorry i can't explain it clearly.. Please see the picture for more info..

Could anyone please please tell me how to get back my original MS WORD icon?

Any help will be very very very much appreciated ...

Thanks in advance ...

Posted Image

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Tolchock...

Have you tried right clicking on the icon...choose Properties and then clicking the "Change Icon" button? You should be able to select the correct icon from the group this presents. I haven't used the application you mentioned, so am not sure if this will be effective or not.

If this doesn't work, post back and we'll see if we can figure out a way to make things right again.

wannabe1

Jag11

Jag11

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts
As much as possible, I don't want to butt in on threads, specially if a Trusted Tech is the one who replied :tazz: but I guess this will help if "all" the Word files have that 'ugly' icon you're saying.

Open Windows Explorer (or My Computer), then Tools > Folder Options > File Types

scroll down and find DOC, click it once and click Change then select Micrsoft Word.

Edited by Jag11, 17 November 2005 - 07:14 AM.

Tolchock

Tolchock

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

As much as possible, I don't want to butt in on threads, specially if a Trusted Tech is the one who replied :tazz: but I guess this will help if "all" the Word files have that 'ugly' icon you're saying.

Open Windows Explorer (or My Computer), then Tools > Folder Options > File Types

scroll down and find DOC, click it once and click Change then select Micrsoft Word.

THanks Wannabe1 and Jag for replying to my post!

I've tried right clicking on the Icon and selecting properties and also the above method mentioned by Jaq .. turns out the DOC format does open with Microsoft Office Word (See thumbnail below) but the Icon on my computer remains the same as the one in my first post ..

Functionality is perfect .. the documents do open in WORD and work fine .. but I can't stand looking at the Icon ..especially when i have many word documents in a folder ...

any suggestions?

Thanks!

Posted Image

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
try doing a repair of the office programs

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Tolchock...

Open MS Word...click Help, then Detect and Repair. and Select the option to repair your icons.

wannabe1

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
See the 'Restore' button on the screen cap you posted? Click it! :tazz:

That will restore the default settings, and should correct your icon issue.

Tolchock

Tolchock

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

See the 'Restore' button on the screen cap you posted? Click it! :tazz:

That will restore the default settings, and should correct your icon issue.

Hi!

Thanks a lot for all who posted ... I tried the Restore button and clicked on the 'Advanced' tab and then chose the Icon from there (see pic below)

I learnt something new today hehe cool!

Thanks a million pple!

Posted Image