Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wanna Do a System Recovery

• Please log in to reply

Reaper_22

Reaper_22

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I run Windows XP home edition and i want to do a system recovery but it dpesnt work.

I have put in the Recovery CD and rebooted.. but it doesnt lauh at the start up.. i have browsed the cd looking to do it manually and cant figure out how too.

When i just put in the cd and click the option "Install Windows XP" i get an error message saying it could not cntinue because there is a newer versinon on my pc (the up dates you get i guess) i am very lost and dont know what to do, plz help

Advertisements

Reaper_22

Reaper_22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have also called the company and got a replacement cd.. figuring this 1 might be broke.. same thing happens...

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
You may need to create a "slipstream" CD containing the Service Packs you've installed. Why do you need to perform a restore? Is it something we can help you fix?

Reaper_22

Reaper_22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
basicaly cause my computer is over run... Right now i have sum 1 recording what im typing with a key logger.. and ive downloaded multiple spyware, ad aware, anti virus programs.. yet these bunches of viruses.. and this keylogger person dont go away... and mow my computer is ultra slow.. so i really need to do a system recover and start over

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
If you want to paste a HijackThis log we can take a look at it. Probably even be able to fix it. :tazz:

Here's an article on creating an SP2 slipstreamed CD:
http://www.neowin.ne...tion=more&id=94

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Alternatively, you should format the disk (after backing up any of your own files (My Documents, for instance). This will , of course, remove Windows and all the updates, but if that was the cause of not being able to use recovery it should work on a clean disk.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Thanks pip22, sometimes we overlook the easy options. :tazz:

Reaper_22

Reaper_22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
ok so how do you format the disk?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Windows XP Installation

Click the link and then choose XP Home or Pro clean install - Graphic from the install / remove section (top left), click the pictures and they expand.

Reaper_22

Reaper_22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
that site says "If the CD drive is not set as the primary boot device it will be necessary to access and modify the BIOS settings" i have no idea how to do that.. otherwise all it looks like its saying is put in the cd and reboot.. thats what im havign trouble doing! the cd doesnt start up..

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
From the first post, it won't go because SP2 is on, (that is the newer version) remove SP2 and it should install

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If that doesn't do, start the PC and right after the POST Beep, you get the first screen which says press DEL to enter set up, press DEL and after a while it will be at the BIOS Set Up screen, look for Boot and change the Boot Priority from C D (Hard Drive CD Rom etc) to D C (CD Rom with the XP CD then Hard Drive) press to save the changes, usually F10 then press confirm and reboot. Usually, if you load Windows and click start then my computer then right click the CD Rom Drive you should get the option to open, explore or run (auto play).

Reaper_22

Reaper_22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
lol ok, how do i remove sp2?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
There you go

Remove SP2

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You will get loads of warnings about removing SP2 will mean something won't run properly without it, but who gives a hoot, you're gonna format