Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer crash on startup

• Please log in to reply

Oli S

Oli S

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi all,

I have an AMD athlon 1.05 GHz, 240Mb RAM, onboard graphics and sound, so nothing too fancy. I have the original 40Gb HD, a DVD drive and CD/RW as well as a USB Netgear adaptor. OS is Win XP (SP2)

Upon startup the computer freezes the first couple of times, then it might restart or freeze after 5 mins of working. The HD light stops and the screen freezes. Occasionally I get the BSOD.

Once it starts working it will stay on all day with no issues. I run SOPHOS and MS Antispyware and am confident I don`t have a virus or spyware.

I have not changed the BIOS so the clocking speed is at the default value and the temperatures don`t seem high, can`t remember off hand, however as it is just starting up for the first time in the morning I doubt this would be an issue.

I have scanned my RAM and it found no errors, I scanned my HD using the Windows tool and it found no errors. I initially assumed that the HD was corrupt or the RAM was but the tests don`t indicate this.

I wonder if it is an issue with my processor. Is there a test I can do? I know that my system is old but I want to avoid an upgrade if possible as I can do everything I wish to at a speed that is not prohibitive.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thank you in advance.

Edited by Oli S, 17 November 2005 - 03:56 AM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G Oli S

There's a few things that could be causing that problem, including RAM or hard drive, but as you said you alreadly tested both of those, we'll concentrate on something else for now.

You mentioned the processor - to be honest, if it was the CPU at fault, I would expect you to have these problems continuously, but you said they stop once the system has booted up successfully.

Out of interest, what did you use to test the ram with?

Because the problem you described could be caused by any number of things, I'm going to ask you to run two reports for me :

1. Download Everest from this link :
http://majorgeeks.co...tion_d4181.html

Run everest & click on Report->Quick report All pages->Plain text.
This will create a text file report that I want you to attach to your next port.

2. Download Hijack This from this link :
http://www.majorgeek...wnload3155.html

Before running it, make sure you close all other windows (particularly IE), run HijackThis.exe & click on 'Do system scan & save log file'.
When it's finished, you can close Hijack. The log file will be automatically saved in the same folder as hijackthis.exe. Attach the log file to your next post.

Oli S

Oli S

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Samm,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Here are the attachments for the two processes I ran, named accordingly.

The RAM test I did was using memTest.

Thanks for looking into this.

Oli

Attached File  Everest_Report.txt   182.95KB   156 downloads

Oli S

Oli S

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
And the Hijack this attachment.Attached File  hijackthis.txt   5.34KB   123 downloads

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi Oli

Well, so much for MS Anti-spyware! You do have malware infections I'm afraid which need to be sorted out before we go any further.

Could you start a new thread in the malware forum please & paste your hijack this log into it (copy & paste this time, rather than attaching it). You can tell them I sent you. One of our malware experts will help you to remove the infections. I will keep an eye on your progress there as well.

Once the malware has been cleaned off your system, you may find that the problems you are currently experiencing sort themselves out anyway. If however, the problem remains, come back to this forum & let us know & I, or someone else, will help you to resolve it.

Good luck :tazz:

Samm

Oli S

Oli S

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you for your time.

I`ll work on the malware. Oddly after 3 months of issues the crashing has stopped, typical. But I will clean up my system.

Thanks again.