Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Just Repaired, No Network Connectivity

• Please log in to reply

chiefreborn

chiefreborn

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
For some odd reason, after my laptop was repaired for overheating problems at Best Buy, I can't seem to be able to access the internet. (I am currently using another laptop.) I have tried everything, I did a system restore to before it was repaired, I tried hitting repair on my ethernet connection and my wireless connection several times, and still nothing. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can try WinsockXPFix from here, near top

http://www.geekstogo...?showtopic=2852

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also right click on my computer > manage > device manager...look for any yellow ?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
chiefreborn...

Holy Cow! The Staff is all over this one! :tazz:

Also try this...Click Start then Run and type ipconfig /release...click "Ok" ...then click Start then Run and type ipconfig /renew...click "Ok".

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 17 November 2005 - 10:12 AM.

chiefreborn

chiefreborn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
The ipconfig /release ipconfig /renew method did not work. Still the same problem. In the device manager, there is yellow, but it's listed under other devices, and all of my network adapters are installed and working properly. I have yet to try the WinsockXPFix, I'll let you all know if it works out.

chiefreborn

chiefreborn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thank god for the WinsockXPFix! :tazz: It works so far. I have only had it running for about a minute and a half however, so I'm not sure if it is cured completely. The first time I turned it on after I got it back, it worked for about thirty seconds, so I'm pretty sure it will work, but I'll be watching just in case.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

chiefreborn

chiefreborn

chiefreborn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Well that was fast. It is, yet again, not working. It did the same thing that it did before. It worked for a few seconds (in this case minutes) and then everything times out. I don't know what I am going to do. I have very important things I need to do with it and as of yet, it is completely useless. If anyone has any MORE ideas :tazz: please let me know.

chiefreborn

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have the router software, uninstall it, delete the connection, as long as you know what to input, password etc and start again

chiefreborn

chiefreborn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Actually I believe I just fixed it. I went to close firefox again, and I noticed something weird...Smc.exe was running (Sygate Personal Firewall) and it wasn't on my startup list, and I didn't start it myself. I think it was blocking my applications from connecting. It seems to be working fine now. As I recall, Sygate usually didn't start right away when I booted XP before, when I had it on startup. As before, I will let you know if I have any more problems.

Thanks again for all the help!

chiefreborn

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do start > run > msconfig...go to the start up section and disable that smc from starting up automatically...

chiefreborn

chiefreborn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
It already was disabled. That's what was so weird about it...so I just uninstalled it completely. This isn't the first time it has done this though, it shows absolutely no graphical representation whatsoever, so I didn't know what was happening.

Edited by chiefreborn, 17 November 2005 - 03:17 PM.