Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ethernet connection not working

• Please log in to reply

Azzy

Azzy

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Before I start I would like to point out that I am not particularly great with computers so any help I am given will be great!

I have recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 6000.

I have been trying to go wireless. I am able to connect to the internet wirelessly as I can use my neighbour’s wireless router.

I have purchased my own wireless router (Netgear 54 Mbps (WGR614)). I am running XP Home (SP2)

However the problem I have is that when I connect my computer to my Telewest Broadband modem (Motorola Surfboard) via the Ethernet port on the back of my machine no connection is available. The light on the modem indicating PC connectivity does not light up.

When I try the Ethernet connection from the modem to the router the light on the modem flashes furiously to indicate PC connectivity.

From this I have determined that the Ethernet connection on the back of my Inspiron is not working.

Does it need to be activated in some way?

Is there any more scientific way that I can check this out?

And is there any way that I can correct this without sending the computer back to Dell?

Thank you for any assistance as I have wasted hours on evenings this week!!!

Craig

Edited by Azzy, 17 November 2005 - 08:12 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
with the computer connected to the modem do start > run > ipconfig /all
do the same while connected to the router

also...connect the router to the modem per your router's instructions.
then connect your machine to the router as well..and put
192.168.0.1 into your web browser. does the router configuration page come up? if it doesnt try 192.168.1.1....

Azzy

Azzy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Cheers I will give that a try when I go home - currently at work.

I also was trying to set it up with the laptop operating off of the battery and not the mains - would this make any difference? (If this is a stupid question please ignore!!!!)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it's not a stupid question....some power schemes on laptops will disable the network connections after being on battery for a certain period of time...try plugging it in..i doubt this is the problem....but if it is...then WOOOHOOO