Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Word 2000 won't launch

• Please log in to reply

pj1959us

pj1959us

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Recently I began having a problem launching Word 2000 (Excel is fine)....it stopped launching when I click on my icon, and wouldn't open from my Programs menu.

I read in Word help to delete/rename the normal. file, but that didn't fix the problem. I have had to do a system restore to an earlier date in order to get it to work, but that is causing other problems because of some other changes done...so, I was hoping to get some advice on any other fixes so that it will launch properly. When I tried to do a repair, it just freezes and does nothing....I do not have the CD so am limited on corrective action.

Oh, I have Windows XP if that matters.

:tazz:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
not having the cd is deffinitly gonna make it more difficult...

does anything happen at all when you click on the icon?
do ctrl + alt + Delete and open up task manager switch over to the processes tab...and try to open word with the icon...see if word.exe shows up

pj1959us

pj1959us

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
It sure is...I have a feeling I am just going to have to buy a new program. :tazz: This one was dowloaded from a CD where I used to work, so I don't have it any longer.

No, nothing happens, and never showed up in Task Manager. I have it working now, but only because I did a system restore to an earlier date. I need to undo the last restore though because of other problems it has caused (due to some previous uninstalls, etc).