Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

emanjamin

emanjamin

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I just bought a second USB 2.0 harddrive enclosure case and I can't get it to show up in MyComputer.
I tried 4 different HDs of two different brands Maxtor and WD.
All of the HDs work and show up in my 1st case, but only one of the WD HDs work in my new one.
When plugged in and turned on, the computer makes the normal USB attachment noise and the balloon says that I have a mass storage device, then after about 30 seconds or so the computer makes the USB detattachment noise. Then windows (XP Professional) says that my new hardware may not work properly.
Anyone know what is going on or how to fix it?
Thanks!
Emanjamin

Advertisements

emanjamin

emanjamin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Anyone have any ideas?

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
When the external hard disk is pugged in, right-click on my computer, select properties. Click the hardware tab, and click device manager. Now see if the device is listed under disk drives. If it is, does it go away when you hear that sound, or is it still there?