1) Tried to restart from Windows XP start menu - laptop hangs
2) Performed a hard power reboot - laptop hangs in Windows startup screen
3) Tried to repair Windows. During repair process, the software wants to restart the computer as usual. Laptop ignores the restart command and just sits there doing nothing.
4) Tried to reinstall Windows from scratch. During reinstall process, the software wants to restart the computer as usual. Laoptop ignores the restart command and just sits there doing nothing.
5) FDisk the drive, deleted the partition, tried to reinstall Windows - same result.
6) Used Emergency Recovery Diagnostics boot disk from Winternals Corp. Created a new active partition and formatted hard drive.
7) Issued the restart command from the ERD console. Again laptop ignores the restart command and just sits there.
It's like the hardware power circuits that are triggered by the software restart commands are bad or something and it ignores all commands to restart. The only time it actually restarted was when I removed all disks and had no operating system on the hard drive and it said "Operating system not found. Press CNTL-ALT-DEL to restart". When I pressed cntl-alt-del, it did restart, but that was from the BIOS and I don't think it's using the same power circuits or relays (?) But that's a guess.
Does anyone have any ideas? I just want to be able to reinstall windows and keep using my laptop.