Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Excel hyperlink problem

• Please log in to reply

hulud

hulud

• PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
we have an excel spreadsheet that contains hyperlinks to pdf files on the same server. sometimes the links open, but after closing out the file and re-opening it, the hyperlinks no longer work. they work the first time, and they work from other computers, so the problem is limited to one pc. the error that displays is "the address of the site is not valid. check the address and try again." now, i figured this was due to problems with the spaces in the path to the file, but now i am not so sure, as from other computers the error message does not come up! any ideas?

thanks in advance :tazz:

Advertisements

Czar_1978

Czar_1978

• Pip
  • 2 posts
First what version of Office and Adobe do you have on your system. If you have created the Excel doc in earlier versions and then upgrade to Office 2003 with version 7.0.0 or earlier of Adobe you will most likely have some problems opening up PDF hyperlinks. Update to the newest version of Adobe if this is the case. Otherwise, I'd think recreating the hyperlinks could be another possible solution.

hulud

hulud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
i figured out that the problem was that he had the excel file saved in a folder on a network drive, and had the files that he was linking to on the same drive, but had mapped another drive directly to the folder and the problem seemed to happen when he opened the file from the second mapped drive, i think this was causing problems. when i told him to open from the original mapped drive (part of the login script for all network users, rather than just added himself) he has been good since then. i did google the error message and come up wtih this too -> http://support.micro...2509&sid=global -> which was helpful (although ultimately not applicable on this occasion.
thanks for your response :tazz:

Czar_1978

Czar_1978

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Glad to see you found a solution.