Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

About them CD's that break through login passwords.

• Please log in to reply

guttermouth punk

guttermouth punk

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
I don't think its wintunnels or whatever, but its some CD that lets my friend bypass my password on my PC. Its starting to piss me off, royal.

How do I go about setting my system up so he can't get by my password?

I was thinking about changing my boot sequence so that my HDD is first so the CD doesn't load to let it bypass.

But, is there any sure fire way to get past it?

Thanks.

(If this is the wrong board for this, tell me, my OS is Windows XP Pro w/ SP2)

Advertisements

guttermouth punk

guttermouth punk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Well. I got some ideas so he can't use my computer even if he does get through the password.

I think, it may work.

Can you keep explorer.exe from opening with msconfig? If so, he would never figure out how to fix it, hes very comp. illiterate. He just got that [bleep] password bypass disk from one of his teachers at school. Cause, when you close explorer.exe out with task manager he usually restarts the PC to get by that. So, if I removed explorer.exe from the startup with msconfig, he would never get it.

Would that work, though?

Thanks, again. Sorry for double.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I don't recommend doing that. Just change the boot order in BIOS and then password protect BIOS. He can't get by that unless he opens up your computer. Then again...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you could probably change the boot order like you said...then put a bios password....but....if he's got the cd that i think he's got...then he can reset that passord too...though it's alot more difficult.....i would suggest either locking the door to your room...or breaking the cd...or breaking your friend (just kidding)....also..if you wanted to get extra special...you could turn off your computer ever time you leave...and open the case and unplug the power button from the motherboard....or better yet..install a toggle switch inline on the possitive wire on the power button wire...hide the toggle switch somewhere inside the case...or on the back..or something...then when you leave...turn the machine off....flip the switch...and laugh while he tries to figure out why the computer wont turn on

guttermouth punk

guttermouth punk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
The disk is not winternals. I believe its just a Windows 2k disk that lets you do it.

I mean, I can get around the explorer.exe thing.

But, thanks for the tips. I'll go try to BIOS boot order and add a pass to it too. If that doesn't work, I'm going to remove explorer.exe from the startup. O_O

Edit:
I could also remove my power cord and carry it with me (I've did this before, haha).

Edit #2:
If all else fails, I'll just make a script that runs shutdown -t 60 so the comp shuts down ever 60 seconds unless they know how to open cmd.exe and do a shutdown -a.. which they wont.

Come on guys, anymore ideas?

Edited by guttermouth punk, 17 November 2005 - 11:38 AM.

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts
syskey: asks for a password before Windows finishes loading, and beforeyour asked for the password associcated with your username. AFAIK, this is only availible on WinXP Pro.

Start >> Run
"syskey" (without the quotes)
<enter>

Opens the "Securing the Windows XP Account Database" window.

Select "Update"
Click on the radio button by "Password Startup"
Enter a password that will be memorable by you but not easily guessable (birthday, name, etc.) NOTE: do NOT forget this password.
Click on OK, followed by OK again.

Restart your computer. Now it should ask for a password before you see the Welcome to Windows (or Win 2k style login screen, depending on your settings). Enter the password you entered earlier, and then log into Windows as normal.

Edited by rmurphy, 18 November 2005 - 12:23 AM.