Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

McAfee VirusScan 10 and ActiveShield error message

• Please log in to reply

buster_c

buster_c

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hello all. I just registered here after spending all morning searching the internet for an answer to my problem.

I first got McAfee in 9/04 when using a different ISP. When I moved in August, I didn't put my computer back online until a week ago and under a different ISP.

McAfee faithfully charged my credit card in September for another annual term however, and when I tried to "update" from McAfee's security center, I got an error message:

**some components of activeshield are either missing or might not have been installed properly**

The online instructions from their support page says to right click on the "M" icon to install, but when I click the icon (black, not red), I get the same error message!

phone support? that's a joke. they want to charge me more for something I haven't even used yet.

anyone know how I can install this ActiveShield component?

thanks!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://h10025.www1.h...ocname=bph07106

that might help..as far as disabeling or uninstalling it..

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Usually uninstalling and reinstalling will correct this issue. McAfee is not my favorite AV. :tazz:

buster_c

buster_c

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
appreciate the replies.

with my McAfee tray icon colored black (and giving me the error message), the instructions from dsenette may not fly - but I've printed them out and will give it a shot.

Admin - you a Norton proponent? AVG? believe me, I may just eat the 1-year subscription to McAfee and go to a comparable AV vendor who answers the phone!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i personally would call mcafee and tell them that you were not planning on renewing your subscription to begin with...and get them to give you a refund since they automatically charged your account...tell them that you had swiched isps and hadn't been connected to the internet untill recently so you couldn't cancel your subscription...they will hopefully give you a refund...then uninstall the junk and get something better

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
AVG is very good, and free! :tazz:

buster_c

buster_c

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
had been running AVG AND McAfee - sort of a belt and suspenders approach.

But I guess I assumed that AVG (and McAfee) followed me to my new ISP. Doh!

Ran the free scan last night and this file showed as infected:
C:\program files\java\j2rel.4.2_04\lib\rt.jar

hope this latest "lesson" isn't an expensive one...

thanks again

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
It's not a good idea to run more then one anti-virus. They often conflict and offer less protection -- not more.

pj1959us

pj1959us

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I won't go into my complaints with McAfee :tazz: but did you try the McAfee website to correct the problem? I had downloaded originally and was able to download the program again and update it (when I still had it). I believe you can also access an online chat with someone there (free). I did that before as well.

Another problem I had previously was because of a pop-up blocker...I don't remember the message I received, but thought I would mention it in case you have one. If you hold the Ctrl key while clicking, the window needed for any updates/downloads should then be able to proceed.

Hope that helps!

pj1959us

pj1959us

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

AVG is very good, and free! :)

Do you like the free version? Does it automatically check/protect and alert you before downloading files? I am trying the trial version right now of the actual program, because I was concerned about the free version. I was wondering what those that use the free version think of it.

Not hijacking, by the way....just wondering.... :tazz:

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
The free version is one version behind the paid version. However, they use the exact same virus definitions, so mostly you're paying for a prettier interface, and maybe some better heuristics protection from unknown infections.

My favorite paid anti-virus is NOD32 and I have it installed on my main system, but I have free AVG on a laptop and I'm very happy with it.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
uh....does the malware forum count as an antivirus program...cuz thats all i use
:) :tazz: :)

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I hope you're kidding! :tazz:

pj1959us

pj1959us

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

The free version is one version behind the paid version. However, they use the exact same virus definitions, so mostly you're paying for a prettier interface, and maybe some better heuristics protection from unknown infections.

My favorite paid anti-virus is NOD32 and I have it installed on my main system, but I have free AVG on a laptop and I'm very happy with it.

Thanks....good to know! :tazz:

buster_c

buster_c

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I won't go into my complaints with McAfee :tazz: but did you try the McAfee website to correct the problem? I had downloaded originally and was able to download the program again and update it (when I still had it). I believe you can also access an online chat with someone there (free). I did that before as well.

Another problem I had previously was because of a pop-up blocker...I don't remember the message I received, but thought I would mention it in case you have one. If you hold the Ctrl key while clicking, the window needed for any updates/downloads should then be able to proceed.

Hope that helps!

UPDATE (for those breathlessly awaiting the resolution here :) )

last night I was unable to access the sign in to "my account" and the link to "enable" updates was replaced with a link to "purchase." This, after I uninstalled (and after I updated for my new email address).

Wondering if the fact that my credit card stored in their system expired and I have not updated the new data?

Wonder if I'd be able to do a reinstall if I updated it...