Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Toshiba Corportation - What is this?

• Please log in to reply

thehyecircus

thehyecircus

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Everytime I turn on my computer, it tells me that it is allowing the Toshiba Corporation file toshbt.dll (this is all from memory because I have work in 20 minutes) on the startup menu.

Is this file necessary, can I delete it? It's not spyware according to some website, but I don't like it. It doesn't seem to be paired with any .exe or file anywhere. Any advice?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
can you get the exact name of the file the next time you post...(if that isn't the full name of the file that is.)

thehyecircus

thehyecircus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Ok it is tosBtShell.dll in C:\i386.

Also, my sisters infected this laptop with intense spyware, and I had to remove it all, but now two things happen.

It takes a long time to give me control once windows starts, and whenever I play DVDs every so often it'll slow down.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
how did you go about removing the malware/spyware?

the tosBtShell.dll file..d.oesn't seem to be required for the machine to run...
do start > run > msconfig
click on the startup tab...and find that file...disable it

thehyecircus

thehyecircus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I ran AVG, Microsoft Spyware, the repair tool in AntiCrash, I think those were all of them. May have been one other.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

just to be sure you got it all

thehyecircus

thehyecircus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
tfswctrl.exe in system32, what does that file do? It is at startup. I cannot find this Toshiba file though.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.liutiliti...brary/tfswctrl/

thehyecircus

thehyecircus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Spyware that I delete keeps reappearing. Either someone is downloading it or I have big problems. I am contemplating formatting my hard drive, because it starts up insanely slow too. It wouldn't even turn on until a week ago.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.