Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Choppy, Freezing video

• Please log in to reply

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I want you to attach it as an attachment

Advertisements

sarahlina

sarahlina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Here it is.

Attached Files

sarahlina

sarahlina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I don't know if this is related or not but I noticed that when I play a DVD (with no other programs running) my CPU usage goes up to 100%

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
it does help and somewhat confirm my suspician

I want you to open regedit

stat> Run, type
regedit
<enter>

navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi

Select the folder in the LEFT pane, right click, choose EXPORT, and save the file name as scsi.txt

attach it to your next post.

I think your cd-rom has reverted to PIO mode. Normally, your drives are in DMA, which means direct memory access...the drive can access memory directly without going to the CPU.

When in PIO mode, the drive relies on the CPU for delivering it data, so in a video, you are cramming a lot of data through the CPU, which is making everything stutter since the CPU has to run the video and everything else.

We need to get the drive back in DMA mode.

sarahlina

sarahlina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
OK - here is the attachment.

I'm glad I could confirm your suspicion. I'm guessing this is unrelated though - just today when my computer goes into hibernate mode it turns itself off after awhile and gives me an error message about the fans not working to cool the system. I'm guessing that's a whole other issue though...

Attached Files

• Attached File  scsi.txt   2.22KB   232 downloads

sarahlina

sarahlina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Any new thoughts?

sarahlina

sarahlina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I don't want to be a nag or anything because I understand and appreciate that you are voluntering your time. But, if the problem can't be fixed online through the forum I would just like to know because I guess I will want to take it somewhere in my neighborhood for an onsite repair.

protrak

protrak

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I don't want to be a nag or anything because I understand and appreciate that you are voluntering your time. But, if the problem can't be fixed online through the forum I would just like to know because I guess I will want to take it somewhere in my neighborhood for an onsite repair.

Hi there I am having a similar problem, and I am very intereste to find a solution.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
sarahlina....

Please download Speed Fan (Click on the SpeedFan 4.27 link in the second paragraph), install it, and run it to monitor voltages and temperatures.

Play a video (with speedfan running) and when it starts acting up, check the temperatures, voltage readings, and CPU usage using speedfan. Post that information here for me.

wannabe1

sarahlina

sarahlina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Thanks for responding. I'm not at home now but will try your instructions when I get home. I have to add that the warning message about the fan never came back after the first time. When it didn't happen again I guessed it was because I had left the computer on for a long time and it was resting on my bed and blankets - not an even surface?

Advertisements

sarahlina

sarahlina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
OK - I ran SpeedFan - this is the information I got

Temp 1 :74C
HDO: 57 C
CPU: As soon as I started the DVD it went up to 100% and after I stopped playing the DVD it went all the way down again.

Found IC25N030ATMR04-0 (30.0GB)
Found ACPI temperature (73.5C)
End of detection

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi sarahlina...

74*C is far too hot! It should be somewhere between 38*C and 50*C. That kind of heat is more than likely a good part of the problem...at that temperature, the CPU is struggling just to keep running. I would recommend as a first step, pick up a can of compressed air from a local computer or office supply store and clean the CPU cooler as best you can. If there is an access panel covering the CPU that is easily removed, remove it when you clean the area. Make sure that the CPU cooling fan is spinning at a good clip, too...if it's not, have it replaced.

You might also look into getting a Laptop Cooler. There are many brands and varieties available and just about any of them will help cool the machine down.

Let's see what the machine behaves like once the temperature is under control.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 15 December 2005 - 09:40 PM.

sarahlina

sarahlina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I had no idea...Where is my CPU cooler located? And what is the proper speed for the CPU fan to be running at? How do I know if it is a good "clip" or not?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
On most laptop machines, the CPU is usually located near the top (display end) of the machine and there should be air vents over/under it or very near to it. Usually this kind of heat is caused by the cooler"s fins being full of dust and lint which can be pretty effectively removed with the compressed air.

As for the speed of the fan, if your motherboard has sensors, the fan RPM will be displayed in SpeedFan. If not, the fan should make very little or no noise when running and the individual blades should not be visible when running...you should be able to "look right through them" when the fan is at speed.

wannabe1

sarahlina

sarahlina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
OK - I sprayed that can of compressed air.
The temp is down but also the computer hasn't been on as long. The reading I gave you last time was after the computer had been on awhile.
This is what speed fan says:

Linked ISA BUS at $0290
SMBus successfully enabled
Linked Intel 82801DB ICH4 SMBUS at $08C0
Scanning ISA BUS at $0290...
SuperIO Chip=NS PC87591L (PLEASE REPORT)
Scanning Intel SMBus at $08C0...
SMART Enabled for drive 0
Found IC25N030ATMR04-0 (30.0GB)
Found ACPI temperature (30.5C)
End of detection
AC is OFFLINE Battery Charge HIGH
Battery Life Percentage 78%
Battery Life Time 5618 seconds