Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

nework cable unplugged when plugged

• Please log in to reply

cherabum

cherabum

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
:tazz: ok have have two ethent ports on my computer. one on the motherboard and one on a pci card. the connection from my router to the ethernet on my motherboard is working but when i plug into the pci card to go to my xbox with a crossover cable it keeps saying a network cable is unplugged i have check and recheacked the cord i think i might just need to go and buy a new pci card because this one is from another system but just to make sure...

thanks for the help

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you can't have an onboard NIC (The one on the motherboard) and a pci nic at the same time...just won't work...what you will need to do is use one or the other...(i suggest only using the PCI NIC so that if it breaks..you still have the one on the board to fall back on)...and buy an eithernet hub..or switch to allow you to network with your xbox...

to disable the onboard nic..you need to enter bios (either by pressing f2 or del during the boot up process) and look for something that says onboard network support or onboard ethernet or integrated something or another...and disable that...once you do...windows will detect the other card and install it.

cherabum

cherabum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
ooo ok cause i got it to work but now i restarted it and it freezes any ideas on how to fix it....(i started it in safe mode and am running a defrag on it) and back at dsenette umm if i wanted to could i have 2 nic cards and bridge them not using the one from my motherboard

thanks

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you could..in theory..but it would be better to just get a cheap ethernet hub..you can get them for like 20 bucks at best buy

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

you can't have an onboard NIC (The one on the motherboard) and a pci nic at the same time...just won't work...

Yes you can, some high end motherboards come with two NIC ports on them. Though quite why anybody needs more than one NIC port is another kettle of fish.

After all, a Wireless Network card is technically a NIC port, and it works quite well regardless of the state of the onboard/PCI ones.

I can't comment on whether the Xbox supports networking in this way though, it may well be that it doesn't.

cherabum

cherabum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
@ dsenette so i could have the pci ethernet and a usb to ethernet then i would be fine ? and not use the montherboard ethernet

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Yes you can, some high end motherboards come with two NIC ports on them. Though quite why anybody needs more than one NIC port is another kettle of fish.

After all, a Wireless Network card is technically a NIC port, and it works quite well regardless of the state of the onboard/PCI ones.

an ethernet port...and an ethernet card are two different animals....just because it has two ports to plug a cable in...doesn't mean its a different card....you can have a nic with two ports...you can also h ave two PCI ethernet cards in a machine...(cherrabum...if you have a usb NIC card...then yes....but if you DON"T already own this...it will be cheaper to by a hub....)...or an ethernet card and a wireless card...because wireless is not the same as ethernet...adn a wireless card IS not the same thing as a NIC card.....wireless is a completely different protocol..which is why you can have onboard NIC and a wireless connection

cherabum

cherabum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
ok so if i wanted to bridge my pc and xbox im going to go with 2 pci ethernet card or what would be the cheapest and easiest

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the cheapest and easiest would be to buy A ETHERNET HUB..or an ETHERNET SWITCH...then all you have to do is plug both your computer..and the xbox into the switch/hub..

cherabum

cherabum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
is that like a router?? cause im trying to get my xbox through my pc so i can moniter the ip addresses commming through my xbox

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
no it's not like a router...it's like a hub or a switch

cherabum

cherabum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
so if i had one of those "hubs" i could plug in a ethernet cord from my router and a crossover cable from my xbox and bridge them?!?!

hey thanks for all the help im new to all the networking stuff

cherabum

cherabum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
ok i got a hub but how do i bridge the xbox and my computer

cherabum

cherabum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
o wait i got it...ok what software would you recommend to view ip addresses comming into my computer...i currently have commview but when i bridge the connections it wont let me view a specific lan port only the bridge

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ethereal is a good network scanner...and it's free...it will scann the wire and pick up all the ip's within your range..and all the traffic there-in...you just need to know what you're looking at