Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I really need some help!

• Please log in to reply

Gareth29

Gareth29

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Yesterday i decided to reboot my computer. Before i did i saved all my documents onto CD, including My Documents, but i didn't change the name of My Documents. After the computer rebooted and the factory settings were all on i put my cd in, clicked on my documents, but instead of taking me to my old my documents, it was acting as a shortcut for the new my documents!

All my legal exams work is on there amongst pictures etc!!! Is there anyway that i can get my old my documents back? I have tried to do system restore but it will only go back to 10 mins after i rebooted system.

If i can't get my old my documents back this way can i stop the cd acting as a short cut? Surely the data has to be on that disc, as i know i copied it properly as other stuff i saved on the cd is there!

Any help would be more than appreciated!

Thanks

Gareth

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Load the CD and cancel it if it autoruns, click start, my computer, right click the ROM Drive, click explore, see what it shows you

If you can see the folder with the documents, use explore again to see what is in there

clennox

clennox

• Pip
  • 5 posts
You didnt copy the folder. You copied the shortcut to my documents("C:\Documents and Settings\*your.user.name*\My Documents"). You can check cos i may be wrong. If the folder has 'SHORTCUT' in its name, or if the folder on the CD has a little white box with a black arrow in it..... its a shortcut. Also if you right click on the icon and choose properties, then general, it will give you the file size. If its about 300kb - 400kb, its a shortcut.

IF YOU HAVE DELETED your old files, you can do a google search for Data Recovery, and should be able to use somthing to recover the data.

If im wrong let me know.