Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What to learn......

• Please log in to reply

Hello_Moto

Hello_Moto

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi guys,

I've started to learn some programming languages. I've done 'Hello World' programs (if you can call them that !) in Java and C++ and have also done a tiny bit of PHP and SQL.

I'm just after some advice really - doing all three at the same time I don't think I'm learning much and maybe I should concentrate on one and the others will come naturally in time, am I right ?? And, if so, what language would I be better studing first ?? Or, would I be better off studying another language altogether ??

Thanks in advance for any help ! :tazz:

Advertisements

Avohir

Avohir

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 1,002 posts
well once you've learned one language, another comes a lot easier. There is general programming theory and structure that you get used to seeing, and it helps when you try to work on the next one.

Hello_Moto

Hello_Moto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Thanks for replying.

DO you recommend any particular language to stick with or does it not really matter ??

Thanks

Avohir

Avohir

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 1,002 posts
depends what you're planning on doing with it.

Swandog46

Swandog46

Malware Expert

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • MVP
Avohir's right. Java and C++ are both good all-purpose programming languages for application design. PHP is a scripting language, but generally used mainly for web design only (it is the leading language for that though). SQL is a database language only. Those are kind of all over the place. Personally I think you should stick at first to learning one good compiled language (C++ or Java are both good choices; I like C), and then perhaps AFTER THAT, one good scripting language. (I love Python; Perl is good too but the code is incomprehensible, or VBscript or something like that if you work in Windows.) On the other hand, if you are doing web design mainly, PHP is the right way to go. It really does depend on what you want to do....

Edited by Swandog46, 17 November 2005 - 07:50 PM.