Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

USB jumpdrive formatting

• Please log in to reply

woohoofulness

woohoofulness

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
ok, i have a quick question. Since you can only encrypt files on a FAT filesystem and not NTFS I want to know if I can format my 256 mb. USB jumpdrive to a FAT system so I can encrypt things. Considering you can install small versions of the only operating system worth living for -- linux -- I should be able to do this, right?

Thanks for the help, Sam

Advertisements

Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 940 posts
Hi woohoofulness,

I assume you have Linux, put in the jumpdrive
If you right click on the removable drive and select Format
You should be able to format to Fat or Fat 32

woohoofulness

woohoofulness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
well i do have a NIX box but im planning the encryption w/ windows. so can i do thru winblows cough, sry windows

Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 940 posts
Possibly!! I'm not real sure but you should be able to format it as Fat32 or NTFS!!

woohoofulness

woohoofulness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
just a totally unrelated question, but if you do enough helping and posting, do u get promoted to staff, or is like a real job, like u help set up the website and [bleep]?

Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 940 posts
You have to help and train for the Malware removal staff. To be a Trusted Tech you have to post with enough helpful advise !!

Geek U Training

Edited by Linkmaster, 17 November 2005 - 06:33 PM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Just to add to Linkmasters answer to your inquiry about becoming staff.. You also have to be recognized by the staff as providing helpful and useful advice .. Once someone is comfortable with you, they will post a thread in a different forum suggesting others keep an eye on you..

When the need for another TT arises, your name is put forward and all TH's, TT's, Mods and higher are allowed to vote giving reasons one way or the other..

Murray