Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer will not POST

• Please log in to reply

hyruh2

hyruh2

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My computer was salvaged from a friends garage after a spyware/malware infection made it almost unusable. I brought it home reformatted it and then installed XP Pro SP2 on the computer. I have been using it for about 5 months since then. I started getting a DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSoD about 2 months ago. It only occurred during heavy load so I thought it was nothing; however, the BSoD may be the result of my XP being a bootleg copy. A few days ago, I had to move the computer to a new room because of family coming and I was going to wireless network it. After, I moved it to the other room and hooked everything up, I couldn't get it to even POST. All it does is give me a continuos tap-like sound from the motherboard speaker(could this be my BIOS beep). I tried drive troubleshooting with no luck. I removed the mobo from the case and now have it on a book with only a 256MB RAM stick in DIMM1 slot, ATI Radeon VE 64MB, power supply, mobo speaker, and power switch plugged in. It still will not POST but I am getting the tap-like sound still but it is continuos sometimes, and then other times it isn't continuos but seems to be code.

Problem: Will not POST and was getting continuos tap-like sound from mobo speaker.

Before Comp was disassembled:
ASUS A7V--motherboard
AMD ~1 GHz (unclear on type, I can't remember name but I think it's an Athlon)--processor
JGE ATX-300W(20-pin connector)--power supply
1 Simple Technology SD 128MB PC-133 RAM Stick
1 Simple Technology SD 256MB PC-133 RAM Stick
1 SD 128MB PC-133 RAM Stick(manuf. not known, but chip maker is Micron)
WD Caviar IDE 40GB--hard drive
K-Hypermedia CD-ROM/Burner 52X24X52 Seamless Link--cd drive
Toshiba DVD-ROM Drive(unsure on speed)--dvd drive
Panasonic ZIP 100--zip drive
Newtronics 3.5"--floppy drive
Netgear Ethernet Adapter--card
SoundBlaster Live!--sound card
ATI Radeon VE 64MB--graphics card

I have been fiddling a little bit. I have reset the CMOS settings and set my board into jumper free mode. The tapping sounds like a code. It does not always occur. About every 3rd time I try to start the computer it makes the sound. However, it still won't POST and the screen stays blank.

Edited by hyruh2, 17 November 2005 - 08:19 PM.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Try removing all the ram except 1 stick, if nogo then try with one stick of ram in a different slot.
If still the same result post back.

Rick

hyruh2

hyruh2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I updated what I have already done. Sorry for the slow editing. *bump*bumpp*

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I canot help you with this you mentioned a bootleg copy of XP

For the record and anyone else reading this, This post was edited to include that statment AFTER
I replied

hyruh2

hyruh2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I am going to Atlanta this weekend. I was going to get a legit version of XP eventually I just haven't had the money. When I first got the computer, I didn't have enough money to buy XP or a windows disc of any kind. Thats why I was using an illegal version of XP. But seriously my computer will not even start. I am asking for your help. I was as honest and detailed as possible with my post. Would you rather I not tell you my XP was illegal and get your help on false pretences?