Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Warning! Some changes in chipset or clock settings...

• Please log in to reply

Nancy S.

Nancy S.

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I keep getting the above message when trying to boot up Windows XP Home. I have reset the computer to a much earlier restore point, when the computer was working, but this has not solved the problem. Every time I turn it on, I end up with this "Warning!!" on my screen. With some difficulty I am able to get to safe mode on that computer.

So I have the computer booted up in safe mode and am wondering if someone can walk me through a diagnostic procedure and/or solution.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Nancy S!

Lets have you try resetting the computers BIOS and see if we can't get rid of this warning. Please do the follow:
  • Turn off your computer
  • Remove the power cord from the back of your computer
  • Open the side panel
  • Locate the CMOS battery (it's shiny stainless steel about the size of a nickel) and remove it
  • Wait at LEAST 5 minutes
  • Put the CMOS battery back in
  • Re-attach the side panel
  • Re-attach the power cord to the back of the computer
  • Power on your computer
You will probably get a CMOS checksum error first time booting after doing this. Don't worry this is NORMAL. It only means that you need to set the date & time on your computer again. It should say to press one of the Function keys or DEL to enter SETUP. Do so and reset the correct date & time. Make sure you SAVE CHANGES before you exit setup. Your computer will reboot. Post back whether you are still getting that warning or not anymore.

Fenor

Nancy S.

Nancy S.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi, Fenor,

I followed your steps and the computer is up and running now. Thank you!

Do you have any other advice or any idea how this happened? My kids play on this computer so I guess anything can happen.

Nancy

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
it's a possibilty that the CMOS battery is going dead...you may want to get a new one..just look at the battery and write down the numbers that are on it...and go to a battery store..or a computer shop..and get a new one..they're pretty cheap (basically a watch battery)

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You may also want to put a BIOS password on your computer so that the kids cannot go in it and change the settings on you. Of course this won't help if they know how to do what I just had you do, but it's worth a try. Go into your BIOS and change the SETUP Password to enabled and then it will ask you to put a password in your computer.

If you don't know how to get into the BIOS, the normal keys to press are F1, F2 and DEL. It should also show on the screen which key to press to enter SETUP when you first turn on your computer and it is booting up.

Fenor

*Edit* -- The key to press to get into the BIOS will be the same one you pressed to enter SETUP to reset the date & time.

Edited by Fenor, 18 November 2005 - 08:15 AM.