Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

unexpected computer shut down

• Please log in to reply

Ben N

Ben N

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey All,

I've been fighting this problem for the last few weeks and it seems to be getting worse. At random times, my monitor screen will go black and about a second later, the hard drive sounds like it is spinning up to speed (like when I just turn it on) but nothing else will happen. The power light stays on and the fan is running, but the only thing I can do is turn it off.

I've tried leaving it off for the day and retrying it in the evening, but it hardly makes it to the starting windows screen. I've entered the BIOS and the settings look OK and it has never shutdown while I'm in there. Out of desperation, I've left it in the BIOS setup for a few hours and Windows seems to stay stable for a little longer.

I've looked at the event viewer and came up with the following:
The TrueVector Internet Monitor service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

and...
Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the TrueVector Internet Monitor service to connect.

I've tried disabling ZA, but the problem continues.

I'm running Win 2k on a Dell Optiplex GX270, P4 2.40 Ghz with 1 GB of RAM. No new softerware. I did install Belkin's Pre-N wireless router for the wife's laptop a few weeks ago, but the problem was occuring before that.

Anybody have any thoughts on how to fix this thing?

Thanks,

Ben

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download and save a clean copy of Zonealarm, disconnect, uninstall Zonealarm, install the clean copy

Ben N

Ben N

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Unistalled using the ZA Unistall and restarted computer. Tried downloding new ZA file and it crashed. Powered off and restarted and it crashed once I got into Windows. Powered off and restarted. Downloaded ZA file, started install and it crashed. Powered down and restarted. Finished install and started a reply to the post that I don't think it worked and it crashed. Tried again and made it this far.

I tried the ZA reinstall when I first started having the problem but I'm willing to try just about anything to get this fixed.

I've also opened up the case and blew out the tumble weeds. Both fans are still working and I didn't notice any scorch marks. I've also tried unplugging just about everything except the graphics card and hard drive and still had it crash.

Any other thoughts or things to try?

Thanks,

Ben

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I'd be tempted to say your power supply is going, or rather, part of it.

Your PSU supplies three different voltages--12,5,3.3...sometimes, part of the PSU can go bad and manifest in odd ways. For example, if the 3.3 volt rail goes, your video, cpu and memory go off, but things with motors (drives fans) stay on.

Sounds like your 3.3 volt rail is dropping, your PC is turning off, but it's not completely going off, and trying to restart undervolted.

I'd borrow another power supply and drop it in this machine as a test to see if the problem disappears (since it could also be a resistor or capacitor on your motherboard).